Visit www.masslegalhelp.org for legal information and self-help materials about your issue.
Economic Benefits Statement
The work of MLAC-funded legal aid programs substantially boosts the Commonwealth’s economy each year by bringing in millions of federal dollars, improving the economic condition of low-income clients and other residents and saving the state millions in costly social services. In fiscal year 2015, new revenue for legal aid clients and cost savings to the Commonwealth from legal aid work totaled an estimated $35.1 million, of which $13.5 million was in the form of new federal revenue. The statement is available below:
- 15-page Economic Benefits Statement that details the work that results in this revenue and savings
- 1-page Economic Benefits Fact Sheet that provides a summary
View previous economic benefits information from 2009 to the present:
- FY14 Economic Benefits Statement
- FY13 Economic Benefits Statement
- FY12 Economic Benefits Statement
- FY11 Economic Benefits Statement
- FY10 Economic Benefits Statement
- FY09 Economic Benefits Statement
MLAC Fact Book
The Fact Book provides MLAC funding and operations data and summarizes data provided by MLAC-funded programs at the end of each fiscal year. The Fact Book offers a comprehensive overview of the MLAC-funded legal services system.
Opportunity Mapping Report
“The Geography of Opportunity: Building Communities of Opportunity in Massachusetts” was released in January 2009. The research was conducted by the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University on behalf of Massachusetts legal aid programs. The report presents compelling maps and demographic analyses that detail racial isolation in the Commonwealth’s low “opportunity” communities.