South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), the primary provider of free civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & the Islands, seeks an experienced and detail-oriented Deputy Director, with strong communication skills to work closely with and support the work of the Executive Director. The Deputy will assist in the development of organizational policy, including strategic planning and assessment of legal need in the region, be responsible for the execution of strategic goals, supervise communications and data collection efforts, support human resources and diversity efforts, assist with ensuring the organization complies with requirements of the largest funders, fiscal management, and supervise senior staff as determined by the Executive Director.
Reporting to SCCLS’ Executive Director, the Deputy will be a key part of the Executive Management team and contribute to ensuring the overall success of the organization in meeting its mission to provide high quality civil legal aid to low-income people and communities in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & Islands. The position will be in SCCLS’ Fall River Administrative office.
- Development and implementation of policies and key strategic goals for the organization;
- Play a key role in recruitment, hiring, orientation and professional development of staff;
- Support the work of the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts;
- Lead ongoing legal needs assessment efforts;
- Assist with legislative lobbying efforts for funding for civil legal aid and other fundraising campaigns;
- Investigate and resolve staff grievances in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
- Ensure compliance with policies and grant requirements of SCCLS’ largest funders;
- Supervise communications and data collection efforts;
- Supervise senior staff and/or organizational projects as directed by the Executive Director;
- Provide mentoring, consultation, and supervision for staff members or unit leaders regarding legal work, as needed;
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Chief Financial Officer involvement of staff funding allocations; and
- Assume other duties as requested by the Executive Director
- Licensed to practice law in Massachusetts, or eligible to practice;
- Excellent demonstrated skills relative to supervision, mentoring, training and development of professional staff with varying experience levels;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficient in use of legal case management systems, Microsoft Office Suite and tools for data management;
- Significant experience providing legal aid to low income clients (experience in an IOLTA or LSC funded program helpful);
- Demonstrated project management, grant management, problem solving, planning and organizational skills;
- Organized, efficient and goal oriented;
- Prior experience with financial and grant management;
- Experience with Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives;
- Committed to providing effective and high-quality legal assistance to low-income residents of our region.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $90,000+ DOE. Starting Benefits package: health and dental with supplemental coverage, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, 403(b), loan forgiveness. Generous paid leave including sick, vacation, personal and holidays.
APPLY: Submit letter of interest, resume and professional references by email to: LThelin@sccls.org with Subject Line: SCCLS Deputy Director. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
SCCLS and its subsidiary, the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts (JCSM), with a combined staff of nearly 80, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. SCCLS law offices are located in Hyannis, New Bedford and Fall River. The Justice Center is located in Brockton. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.