About Us: Founded in 1976, MWLS provides free civil legal services to protect and advance the rights and well-being of poor, elderly, disabled, and otherwise disenfranchised individuals and families in the communities that we serve. MWLS strives to help clients overcome barriers to achieving justice in areas that address their most basic human needs.
The Position: MWLS seeks a Supervising Attorney for the Immigration Unit to provide supervision to a dedicated and talented advocacy staff and coordinate outreach to immigrant communities in the MWLS service area. Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Supervising Attorney will work with MWLS’ management team and advocacy staff to oversee the delivery of legal services to the immigrant communities in our region. MWLS is seeking an experienced immigration practitioner who is ready to move away, in part, from direct client representation and into a primarily supervisory and coordinator role for the Immigration Unit.
- Supervise, support, and oversee the direct client work and community outreach of the Immigration Unit.
- Identify priorities for MWLS’ immigration direct case work and oversee the implementation of corresponding outreach efforts.
- Develop and monitor standards of practice for the immigration staff and ensure adherence to program and case handling standards, grant requirements and the highest professional standards using regular case review and other techniques.
- Develop and monitor MWLS’ immigration case intake and case acceptance procedures.
- Maintain a small and existing case load for MWLS clients.
- Whenever appropriate, serve as co-counsel in legally complex matters such as applications for asylum before the Immigration Court.
- Oversee the collaborative relationships with community-based organizations in the MWLS service area that also serve immigrants.
- Participate in the work of MWLS’ management team including hiring decisions, strategic planning, preparing grant applications and reports.
- Manage reports for the Immigration Unit’s casework using the Legal Server case management system.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Deputy Director.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Admitted to practice in Massachusetts, or able to seek admission.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience as a practicing attorney and a substantive expertise in immigration law.
- Experience working with community groups, organizations, and advocacy groups and with utilizing communications strategies to address issues affecting immigrants and immigrant communities.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills and a leadership style that inspires and encourages professional growth in others, including demonstrated ability to supervise across differences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to race equity, anti-racism and economic justice in the workplace and in providing legal services.
- Fluency in Portuguese, Spanish, or Haitian Creole is desirable but not required.
- Ability to travel throughout the MWLS service area and to occasional statewide events. MWLS has a travel expense reimbursement plan.
- Ability to work from the MWLS office in Framingham at least two (2) days a week as MWLS is currently operating with a hybrid work model. Under this model, MWLS staff are required to work from the MWLS office at least two (2) days a week.
MWLS salaries are based on a collective bargaining agreement scale enhanced for supervisory role, includes yearly standard increases, multi-lingual increment for demonstrated language skills. This position is not part of the collective bargaining unit. Salary starts at $83,000 plus experience credit if applicable. MWLS’ benefits package includes generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions, and professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Click this link to submit an application: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/31e2fe82-92b6-4e85-b7ce-5fa54665f389/Metrowest-Legal-Services-Inc
MWLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MWLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.