April 28, 2022
Greater Boston Legal Services is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS seeks a qualified candidate to immediately fill an AS/LA position whose primary responsibility will be to support the work of the Family Law Unit (FLU). The FLU represents clients in a range of contested family law matters, and the majority of our clients are survivors of domestic violence.
The AS/LA will be responsible for performing a wide variety of administrative/legal assistant work in support of staff members and the smooth functioning of the FLU. This work includes:
- greeting, screening, and referring potential clients;
- completing client intakes;
- using GBLS’ case management database to enter case data, check for case conflicts, and assist in preparing grant reports;
- scheduling interpreters for staff, and doing some interpreting and translating as needed;
- preparing and/or organizing case related documents; and
- participating in orientations and trainings for student interns, new staff, and volunteers.
Additional responsibilities include administrative tasks such as filing closed cases and organizing files; ordering and organizing office supplies; maintaining and reporting on client trust accounts, petty cash, and cash receipts; and preparing time sheets.
A strong candidate will excel in the following areas:
- interpersonal relations
- written and verbal communications
- attention to detail
A strong candidate will be able to:
- organize and prioritize tasks;
- work well both independently and as part of a team;
- respond to urgent case or client matters;
- maintain confidentiality; and
- use software such as Microsoft Office 365, Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Speak at least one language in addition to English, with a preference for fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole.
Salary is based on a union scale with annual raises and in which, for example, someone with 4 to 6 years of experience would earn between $39,015 and $41,015, with an additional $950 annual payment for second language ability. GBLS offers a generous benefits package including low-cost comprehensive health insurance, retirement contribution, paid time off, and ongoing professional development opportunities. GBLS currently has a hybrid work model for all staff.
Interested candidates should submit letter of interest and resume to the GBLS Human Resources Team via email to email@example.com. Please refer to Job Code FLU-ASLA when applying for this position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but applicants are encouraged to submit applications by May 20, 2022.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.