Advocacy Director – GBLS
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) seeks an experienced attorney with a minimum of 10 years of experience in civil legal services or similar organizations to serve as Advocacy Director. The Advocacy Director provides leadership, legal expertise and mentorship to enable GBLS’ advocates to use all forms of civil legal advocacy to combat injustice, strengthen low-income communities and protect human dignity. GBLS’ legal advocacy includes litigation, appeals, legislative reform, community lawyering and administrative advocacy in areas of civil practice affecting low-income members of our communities.
The Director of Advocacy is a member of the senior management team, reporting directly to the Executive Director. The Director of Advocacy will:
- Bring strategic vision and a high-level of civil legal practice experience to support advocacy that breaks down barriers caused by poverty, racism, sex discrimination, disability, and other systemic inequities.
- Collaborate closely with GBLS leadership and advocates to provide expertise, co-counseling, and mentorship to develop advocacy strategies and support specific advocacy efforts.
- Advance GBLS’ work to center race equity in GBLS advocacy and to support GBLS employees’ anti-racist growth and development, in collaboration with Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
- Provide dynamic, motivational leadership for high quality, impactful, and innovative legal representation and advocacy that makes effective use of GBLS’ resources and assist with high level and complex legal matters.
- Develop and implement protocols and policies to ensure that GBLS advocacy is:
- Responsive to client community needs;
- Client-centered, anti-racist, inclusive and respectful of our clients’ diverse backgrounds and needs; and
- Aligned with GBLS’ strategic goals.
- Maintain connections and visibility within Massachusetts’ progressive advocacy community to enhance public support for our work and mission.
- Oversee client intake and service systems to ensure accessible and inclusive services.
- Participate in GBLS leadership and senior management teams to address program wide policy issues.
Support Systemic Advocacy:
- Partner with advocates to determine the best strategies and tools for given goals (i.e., administrative advocacy, appeals, class action lawsuit, and/or legislative campaign).
- Support and oversee advocacy staff engaged in Major Advocacy Projects.
- Oversee, coordinate and support GBLS staff engaged in appellate practice and legislative advocacy.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of legal issues relevant to GBLS’ practice areas and client community.
- Oversee the legal aspects of pro bono partnerships on major litigation.
- Work with leadership team to strengthen systems to assess advocates’ training and professional development needs and apply anti-bias practices to ensure that all advocates have access to training and professional development.
- Promote opportunities to develop advocacy leaders.
- Provide advice to advocates regarding urgent or complex ethics issues.
- Law degree and license to practice law in Massachusetts or eligible for admission.
- At least 10 years of experience in civil legal services or similar advocacy organizations.
- Demonstrated experience across multiple substantive areas of law.
- Significant litigation experience, particularly in complex civil cases in state and federal court, both at the trial and appellate levels.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and supervise others in a collaborative manner.
- Strong management and leadership skills and a leadership style that encourages professional growth in others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong commitment to poverty law issues and anti-racism.
- Demonstrated success in providing culturally competent and accessible services to diverse client groups.
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting annual salary is $100,000 or higher depending on experience.
- Benefits package includes 98% employer-paid medical coverage, retirement contribution, and generous paid time off policy.
How to apply:
- Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and brief writing sample to the Human Resources Team via email at email@example.com. Please refer to job code: ADVOCACY when applying for this position. Applications that do not include a letter of interest may not receive full consideration.
- Deadline to apply is April 30, 2023 or until position is filled; applications to be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Greater Boston Legal Services
GBLS provides free legal services and representation to clients in the greater Boston area who cannot afford private legal representation. Leveraging over 122 years of experience, and with a staff of 160 people, GBLS’s mission is to achieve social and racial justice through legal advocacy.
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to build a diverse staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds