POSITION: Bilingual Intake Specialist
DAYS/HOURS: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM with one unpaid hour for lunch
REPORTS TO: Natasha Lewis, Call Center Supervising Attorney
UNIT: Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) of the Volunteer Lawyers Project
LOCATION: 7 Winthrop Square, Floor 2, Boston, MA / Remote (Massachusetts)
HOURLY WAGE: $25.80 per hour
This is a permanent, full-time staff position at the Call Center. Candidate must reside in Massachusetts and must have access to a secure internet connection.
This position requires fluency in English and Spanish. Please be advised that selected candidates will be required to take a Spanish Language Proficiency exam.
This application will remain open until the position has been filled.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) is a project of VLP that provides callers with information, legal advice, and referrals; screens clients for legal aid eligibility; and conducts intakes in legal aid priority cases. ERLI receives nearly 15,000 calls annually from low-income Massachusetts residents seeking legal assistance. Without the services of ERLI and its staff, many of these residents may go without assistance.
ERLI is seeking a full-time Bilingual Intake Specialist to answer calls, screen for eligibility, conduct intakes, give information and referrals, schedule appointments, and data entry. The Intake Specialist will receive ongoing training in standard procedures, customer service, data entry, and specialized legal education in order to provide the highest level of legal information, referrals, and advice under the supervision of a manager and attorney.
- High School/GED Diploma
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- At least 1 year of call center experience or telephone customer service experience
- At least 1 year of data entry experience and/or intake-related experience
- Knowledge of MA laws surrounding Housing, Family Law, Benefits and Consumer
- Prior intake experience
- Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system or a law office that handles civil cases in serving low-income populations.
REQUIRED MENTAL ABILITES/SKILLS:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including strong data entry and typing skills
- Ability to learn and retain new information quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to excel working independently and within a team
- Ability to learn and navigate computer, case management, software, and phone systems
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to various client situations and changes in program procedures
- Ability to manage stress and identify self-care as needed
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to analyze and problem solve quickly
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES/SKILLS:
- Strong ability to navigate computer, software, internet, and phone systems
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate over the phone and email
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Conduct intakes by phone on the ERLI queue and respond to online intake requests for legal assistance
- Apply legal training to client’s case facts and provide accurate information, referral, or legal advice under the supervision of the manager and supervising attorney
- Utilize case management database to document case facts and prepare case files for daily supervisor review
- Schedule clients for advice calls and conduct advice call back appointments
- Other duties as determined by Program needs
Volunteer Lawyers Project is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. VLP strives to ensure that those working in our organization reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. VLP encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for positions.