To apply, please submit resume and cover letter here by March 5, 2019.
POSITION: Bilingual Legal Advocate
DAYS/HOURS: Mon – Fri, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM
REPORTS TO: Chris Neighbours, Supervisor
UNIT: Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) of the Volunteer Lawyers Project
LOCATION: 197 Friend St., 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114
SALARY: Starting at $36,000 commensurate with experience
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association (VLP) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of Greater Boston, primarily through the pro bono services of private attorneys. Eastern Region Legal Intake is a project of VLP that provides callers with information, advice, and referrals; screens clients for legal aid eligibility; and conducts intakes in legal aid priority cases.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position on the intake phone line.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Bilingual; fluent in English and Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Mandarin or Cantonese.
• Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system or a law office that handles civil cases.
• Prior experience with an organization serving low-income populations.
• Prior experience working with victims of crimes.
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Knowledge of MA laws surrounding Housing, Family Law, Benefits and Consumer
• Ability to conduct legal analysis and apply the law to client’s case facts under the supervision of attorneys
• Ability to utilize case management supervision to deliver information and legal advice accurately under the supervision of attorneys
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to learn and retain information quickly
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to learn and use case management software and phone systems
• Heavy use of computer and phone
• Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate over the phone
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Conduct intakes and provide legal information and referrals over the intake line.
• Coordinate and manage Advice Panels (scheduling volunteer attorneys to call and advise clients)
• Staff VLP court based clinics
• Update changes to Intake Priorities and Questionnaires
• Conduct community outreach
• General administrative work such as data gathering, scanning and filing
• Other duties as determined by Program needs
Volunteer Lawyers Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer