SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Housing and Appeals unit paralegal supports our busy team working on multiple legal projects, including legal clinics and Call Center support. The paralegals will manage both legal and administrative functions of these units, including meeting and following up with staff and clients, communicating with other members of the team internally and externally, providing support to the call center on a rotating basis, and other duties as necessary to carry out the mission of the organization.
- Completion of bachelor’s degree and/or Paralegal Certification program
- Fluency in Spanish and English – oral and written
REQUIRED MENTAL/PHYSICAL ABILITIES/SKILLS:
- Heavy use of computer programs and applications
- Ability to communicate in person, by telephone, and by computer
- Ability to travel to various locations in Greater Boston
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Ability to collect and present information
- Careful attention to detail
- Reliable and organized
- Customer service-oriented
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Compassionate and able to work with low-income populations and be sensitive to their legal needs and socioeconomic status
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Zoom
- Ability to be flexible and work independently
- Ability to navigate through the Internet, research, and locate and interpret information
- Able to learn new computer software and systems quickly
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s programs and projects and substantive areas of law, especially those substantive areas of law in which you will be assisting clients
- Handle day-to-day case management administrative functions
- Attend weekly legal clinics and case review meetings
- Transcribe/document case updates and next action steps during meetings for cases
- Provide intake support at the call center twice per month.
- Attend weekly meetings and transcribe information discussed at legal unit meetings
- Attend trainings as needed for professional development
- Participate in other assigned projects, as needed, to continue the VLP mission
DAYS/HOURS: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM with one unpaid hour for lunch
REPORTS TO: Supervising Attorney
LOCATION: Remote/7 Winthrop Square, Floor 2, Boston, MA 02110*
STATUS: Full-time, non-Exempt
*This position will be remote until the office re-opens for in-person operations.
This position requires fluency in English and Spanish. Please be advised that selected candidates will be required to take a Spanish Language Proficiency exam.
This application will remain open until the position has been filled.
Volunteer Lawyers Project is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. VLP strives to ensure that those working in our organization reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
To apply for this position, please visit the VLP careers page.