To apply, please submit resume and cover letter here.
DAYS/HOURS: Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM plus occasional evening trainings
REPORTS TO: Cindy Palmquist, Esq. Managing Director
UNIT: Call Center
LOCATION: Volunteer Lawyers Project, 7 Winthrop Square, Second Floor, Boston, MA 02110 and Remote
The Eastern Region Legal Intake is VLP’s call center and is a primary way we deliver legal services. The supervising attorney will provide oversight and support to the day to day operation of the call center as well as provide direct supervision to the call center manager and AmeriCorps Legal Advocates. The supervising attorney will also provide support to the legal advocates and call center representatives. The call center supervising attorney will answer substantive law questions, provide and coordinate trainings, assist with grant reporting, and interface with our community partners. A clearly defined substantive supervisory structure of the call center will elevate the skills of all call center employees and improve the consistency, accuracy, and depth of the advice given to advocates and representatives to better serve our clients and community.
– Law degree from an accredited law school.
– Admission to and good standing in Massachusetts bar
– 3+ years in at least two areas of law.
– Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills.
– Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
– Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and with staff at outside organizations.
– Ability to effectively supervise multiple employees.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES/SKILLS:
– Ability to use a computer several hours per day.
– Ability to communicate in person, by telephone and by computer.
– Ability to work and supervise in a remote work setting, as well as to travel to locations in Greater Boston several times a week.
– Maintain expertise in several areas of law;
– Lead bi-weekly call center case reviews;
– Effectively and efficiently handle a small caseload with support of the ALAs;
– Supervise the call center manager;
– Supervise the AmeriCorps Legal Advocates and ensure structured participation in both the general operation of the call center as well as substantive legal work;
– Develop trainings for call center staff on general operations as well as various areas of law;
– Review cases for merit and alignment with priorities for referral to advice panels;
– Recruit and maintain relationships with volunteers from the private bar for advice panels;
– Monitor ALA cases to ensure quality and competent representation;
– Participation in legal aid coalitions and collaborations;
– Assist with grant applications and reports;
– Other responsibilities as needed