Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Greater Boston Legal Services is seeking an experienced nonprofit Director of Human Resources to lead the organization’s Human Resource activities including benefits, employee relations, workforce recruitment, orientation, professional development, workplace safety, wellness, and risk management. With a robust and energetic staff of 120+ permanent employees and additional temporary employees, interns, and volunteers, GBLS’ greatest strength is its people. We’re seeking a dynamic leader with the people skills and professional expertise necessary to help our 121-year-old organization leverage our human power in service of our mission to achieve social and racial justice.
The Director of Human Resources will report to the Deputy Director and partner with senior leadership to provide direction and coordination on a strategic level for retention and recruitment strategies, talent management, labor-management issues, employee engagement and culture, leadership communication, and change management.
The HR Director also:
· Provides assistance, guidance, and consultation to program leaders on human resources policies, guidelines, programs and practices.
· Administers or oversees the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to: compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; recognition and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
· Monitors and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including accessibility and reasonable accommodation, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
· Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; and applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to staff and management.
· The Director will assess organizational needs, and champion, promote, and guide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) processes and initiatives in coordination with the DEI Director
· Evaluate departmental and organization human resources needs and work with the Senior Management team to design an effective HR department structure.
· Hire and supervise a Benefits Coordinator (or alternate position, as needed), and participate in the supervision of two Administrative Secretaries with some human resources obligations.
· Education: Bachelor’s Degree or certificate in Human Resources or related field required.
· License/Certifications: SHRM (Society for Human Resources Management) Certification preferred.
· Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources.
· Must have a firm understanding of multiple human resource disciplines including workforce planning, employee relations, recruiting, compensation practices, safety, organizational development and workforce planning, training, diversity, performance management, federal and state employment laws.
· Experience managing in a union environment preferred.
· Effective and clear verbal & written communication skills.
· A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and the intersection with social justice.
· Interpersonal skills necessary to provide leadership, resolve differences, communicate organizational policies, goals, and strategies.
· Strong negotiation and facilitation skills to effectively and productively manage conflict.
· Analytic thinking and problem-solving skills.
· Comfort and facility working with an array of HR technologies and computer programs, including ADP, benefits portals, and Microsoft Office Suite and other cloud-based platforms.
· Candidate must be able to commute into the office when we return to in-person operations.
Salary & Benefits:
· Salary range is $92,000-115,000, dependent upon experience.
· GBLS offers a generous benefits package, retirement contribution, and generous PTO leave.
How to apply:
· Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and brief writing sample to the Personnel Team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to job code: GBLS-HR when applying for this position.
· Deadline to apply is June 4, 2021 or until position is filled; applications to be reviewed on a rolling basis.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds