Economic Justice Attorney with Focus on Safety Net Programs
The Opportunity: The Massachusetts Law Reform Institute (MLRI) seeks a dynamic and creative attorney to take a lead role in legislative and administrative advocacy and impact litigation to improve and protect access to critical safety net programs including but not limited to SNAP, TANF cash assistance, and subsidized child care. The attorney will work closely with a team of experienced, nationally recognized public benefits and safety net advocates.
About MLRI: MLRI is a nonprofit poverty law and policy center that provides statewide advocacy and leadership in advancing laws, policies, and practices that secure economic, racial, and social justice for low-income people and communities. We pursue systems change through litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, coalition building, community lawyering, and other strategies to address laws, policies and practices that harm low-income people. MLRI is also the statewide multi-issue poverty law support center in the Massachusetts civil legal aid delivery system; our advocates provide substantive expertise and technical assistance to frontline legal aid field programs and many other providers who serve low-income people and communities in Massachusetts. For more information see www.mlri.org.
– Law degree and admission to a state bar;
– At least 5 years of relevant experience, which may include litigation, legislative advocacy, or experience advocating on behalf of low-income people and communities;
– Outstanding writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills;
– Ability to assume significant leadership in litigation;
– Experience working both independently and as part of a team;
– Imagination, determination, and a passion for MLRI’s mission.
– Identify, develop, and implement legislative and administrative advocacy and litigation strategies to improve and protect safety net programs in Massachusetts;
– Provide legal and technical support to legislators, policymakers, local legal services programs, and other advocacy and community organizations on safety net issues;
– Help build and lead coalitions of community and grassroots groups;
– Respond to and work with media on social safety net and poverty law issues;
– Develop and lead workshops and training events for lawyers and community advocates;
– Write amicus briefs, reports, policy briefs and advocacy manuals as well as shorter advocacy and educational materials and practical information for advocates, policymakers and other key stakeholders;
– Represent MLRI policy interests in public forums including legislative and rulemaking hearings and on statewide task forces.
Salary and Benefits:
– MLRI’s Staff Attorney salary scale is based on years of relevant post-JD attorney experience. For example, starting annual salary at 5 years of experience is $70,000; 10 years is $77,750; 15 years is $84,500;
– MLRI provides generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 403(b) plan, as well as vacation, holiday, and family leave.
– To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and a legal writing sample to email@example.com;
– Application materials will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis; interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit application materials promptly.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
MLRI is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We believe that having a staff, board, and volunteers with diverse personal and professional backgrounds and lived experience enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, immigrants, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with lived experience of poverty, and people from other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.