POSITION: Employment and Consumer Paralegal
DAYS/HOURS: Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM with one unpaid hour for lunch, 35 hours per week (with occasional evening trainings and clinics)
REPORTS TO: Employment Staff Attorney, Elizabeth Mason
UNIT: Consumer and Employment
LOCATION: Remote and 7 Winthrop Square, Floor 2, Boston, MA 02110*
STATUS: Full-time, Non-Exempt
*Operations are currently hybrid during COVID-19
This application will remain open until the position has been filled.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Employment and Consumer Paralegal supports units that address wage debt and abusive debt collection as well as securing unemployment benefits for those who are unemployed through no fault of their own. VLP is an innovative partnership between state attorneys general, the legal aid community, and the private bar to create legal clinics to assist victims of wage theft and debt collection abuse.
The Employment and Consumer Paralegal will continue and expand this work by supporting the organization’s attorneys and the pro bono panel in maintaining these clinics and expanding the organization’s unemployment insurance program. The day-to-day duties of this position support aspects of the units’ legal and administrative functions, case management for the units, and other duties as necessary to carry out the organization’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluency in English
- Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system, or a law office that handles civil cases
- Prior experience with an organization serving low-income populations
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, database and web content management systems, and collaborative project tools.
- Ability to effectively engage with the private bar in recruiting and retaining volunteer attorneys
- Knowledge of Federal and MA laws surrounding Consumer and Employment Law (wage and hour and unemployment insurance)
- Ability to use a computer and phone for seven hours a day
- Ability to travel to courthouses and other clinic locations in the Greater Boston area
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and be detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and staff at outside organizations
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, be reliable, and flexible
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Handle day to day case management /administrative functions
- Attend clinics on a weekly and monthly basis
- Conduct pre- and post-clinic case preparation in an electronic case management system
- Attend and present at trainings
- Other program duties as assigned
- Assist in managing and assigning work to interns
- Provide intake support at call center
- Conduct intake interviews with clients and draft referral memos to pro bono attorneys
Volunteer Lawyers Project is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. VLP strives to ensure that those working in our organization reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. VLP encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for positions.