The Opportunity: The Massachusetts Law Reform Institute (MLRI) seeks an experienced attorney to join MLRI’s Health Law Practice Group. The Senior Staff Attorney will play a lead role in crafting and carrying out MLRI’s health advocacy agenda- through litigation, administrative and legislative advocacy, and coalition-building with legal aid, advocacy organizations and community-based groups.
About MLRI: MLRI is a nationally recognized nonprofit poverty law and policy center that provides statewide advocacy and leadership in advancing laws, policies, and practices that secure economic, racial, and social justice for low-income people and communities. We pursue systems change through litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, coalition building, community lawyering, and other strategies that address systemic harm to low-income people. MLRI is also the statewide multi-issue poverty law support center for the Massachusetts civil legal aid delivery system; our advocates provide substantive expertise and technical assistance to frontline legal aid field program advocates and to many other advocates and providers who serve low-income people and communities in Massachusetts.
Desired Qualifications & Experience:
- A law degree and admission to any state bar;
- Minimum 7 years experience in relevant field, including minimum of 5 years post-law school legal experience;
- Expertise in one or more areas of health law including Medicaid/MassHealth, Exchange/Health Connector, the Affordable Care Act, health care for the uninsured, public health, improving delivery of care, social determinants of health, and racial disparities in health;
- Litigation experience;
- Policy advocacy experience with state and/or federal administrative agencies or legislative bodies;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse community groups and coalitions;
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead, and coordinate diverse and broad-based coalitions or working groups advocating for policy change;
- Excellent writing and legal research skills;
- Bi-lingual highly desirable but not required (especially Spanish-speaking);
- Commitment to MLRI’s mission to serve low-income, historically and presently marginalized, and vulnerable populations by advancing a race equity agenda through a community driven advocacy lens.
- Collaborate with the other MLRI advocates and coalition partners to identify and develop strategies to ensure access to affordable, quality health care for all.
- Advocate for policy changes to improve health outcomes, improve access to affordable, quality health care, and to address racial disparities in health through:
- High impact litigation,
- Administrative and legislative advocacy,
- Collaborative work with coalitions, working groups, and community-based organizations.
- Provide legal and technical support, expertise, and training to policymakers, legal services program staff, and community organizations on health law and policy issues.
- Assist MLRI’s health unit with securing and managing grant funding.
Salary and Benefits:
- MLRI offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. MLRI provides a very generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 403(b) plan employer contribution of 3% after 6 months of employment, as well as vacation, holiday, and family leave
- MLRI’s Staff Attorney salaries are based on scale and are commensurate with skills and years of relevant post-JD attorney experience. For example, for this position the salary range is $78,000-105,000 depending on applicant level of experience. Internal equity considerations and average salary of the peer range will be reviewed and taken into consideration.
- MLRI is currently operating on a hybrid schedule
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume and a legal writing sample with “Sr. Health Attorney” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Submission:
Application materials will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis; interested and qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to submit application materials promptly.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
MLRI is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having an inclusive culture and a staff, board, and volunteers with diverse personal and professional backgrounds and lived experience enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, immigrants, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with lived experience of poverty, and people historically and presently excluded and marginalized.