Join our team! The Rian Immigrant Center is seeking a Immigration Staff Attorney to join our immigration legal services team ASAP.
Full Time: 40 Hours per week
Reports to: Director of Legal Programs
The Rian Immigrant Center is expanding the immigration legal services team, in order to expand the overall team’s capacity to provide legal consultation and representation to clients of Rian and our partners. The Immigration Staff Attorney will provide direct immigration legal services to low-income immigrants, refugees, and asylees.
Rian provides more than 2,000 legal consults a year, and full case representation before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for over 600 immigrants. We help low-income immigrants gain legal status, work authorization, and to reunite their families so they can become empowered, reach stability, and move out of poverty. We also assist eligible immigrants in becoming U.S. citizens, guiding them throughout the application process and representing those with complex cases. We work in partnership with others to support immigrant patients, homeless families, and immigrant youth.
- Support the mission and values of Rian by demonstrating a commitment to social justice and equity; actively participating in Rian’s efforts toward being an anti-racist organization; and valuing, promoting, and integrating anti-racist ideas and policies into our work.
- Manage an immigration case load and provide legal representation to immigrant clients, including appearances before USCIS. Typical cases include family-based immigration cases, consular processing, asylee and refugee adjustments and I-730 petitions, VAWA petitions, Special Immigrant Juvenile petitions, naturalization applications, and unlawful presence waivers.
- Provide expert immigration consultation to Rian clients.
- Conduct weekly consultations, clinics, intake and case management for culturally and linguistically diverse clients, with high levels of integrity, inclusivity and respect.
- Ensure fulfillment of ethical and professional standards and provide quality legal services.
- Keep apprised of developments in immigration law and provide information and training to other staff.
- Work collaboratively with other Rian attorneys, paralegals, and different teams across the organization.
- Support Rian’s engagement with foundations and donors and assist Rian to accomplish our new business development and partner goals.
- Perform other tasks as required by the Director of Legal Programs.
- Commitment to the overall mission and values of Rian.
- A law degree and admission to a U.S. state bar (Massachusetts strongly preferred; by transfer of UBE acceptable).
- A minimum of 2 years of experience practicing immigration law, including representation before USCIS.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management.
- Preferred fluency in Spanish or Haitian Creole.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume as a PDF to email@example.com with Immigration Attorney as the subject line.
Rian Immigrant Center is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic or national origin, creed or religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. We encourage applications from all those interested and qualiﬁed.
ABOUT THE RIAN IMMIGRANT CENTER
Rian Immigrant Center offers a comprehensive, multi-service approach to supporting families from more than 126 countries. Rian provides the immigration legal, resource and support services, and educational support immigrants need to gain stability, security, and build pathways to success. Rian was founded in 1989 by a group of immigrants, and we have assisted over 40,000 immigrants make successful transitions to new beginnings in New England.
In addition to our services, rooted in the tradition of welcoming others and social justice, we help newcomers ﬁnd community, and stand up for immigration policies that are humane and just. We are proud to continue the tradition of welcoming immigrants to this country and working together to create a better future for all. Rian strives to intentionally create an environment for staff, individuals we serve and others, that fosters intercultural belonging, and is anti-racist and equitable. We are committed to valuing and promoting anti-racist ideas and policies.
Working at Rian: Our staﬀ of thirty-five+ includes immigration attorneys, social workers, educators, youth workers and others, who bring enthusiasm and a commitment to our mission and the work at the Center. We work as one team. Our generous beneﬁts package includes a hybrid work environment with flexible work time, health beneﬁts, 20 vacation days, 15 holidays, 5 sick days, a 403(b) plan, and occasional oﬀ-site community building time together.