The Victim Rights Law Center’s Massachusetts office is hiring an immigration attorney! As sexual violence is at the forefront of the national dialogue, more survivors are coming forward with their safety, privacy, education, housing, employment, financial stability, and immigration needs. We need smart, compassionate attorneys to join us in leading a new response to sexual violence.
Organization: The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of sexual violence to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim. All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by an attorney with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodations. For assistance contact the People and Culture Manger, Evelyne Martial, at 617-399-6720, x34.
• Provide sexual assault survivors with comprehensive legal consultations, representation, and referrals
• Represent survivors of sexual violence on immigration remedies including U visas, VAWA self-petitions, T visas, battered spouse waivers, adjustments of status, and petitions for work authorization; as well as privacy, safety, and limited criminal justice system advocacy.
• Participate in weekly intake and case assessment meetings
• Conduct strategic outreach to community partners throughout Massachusetts and foster strong relationships with partners in the immigration legal community
• Facilitate trainings and opportunities for cross-trainings with community partners
• Participate in the collection of accurate client services data collection for reporting purposes
• Work collaboratively with a team of lawyers
• Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts for a minimum of 2 years and in good standing
• Minimum of 2 years of immigration law experience (VAWA/U/T/Asylum experience preferred)
• Bilingual Spanish or Portuguese (spoken and written skills)
• Experience working with trauma survivors and marginalized communities (e.g. LGBTQIA+, communities of color, people with disabilities, youth)
• Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving throughout the Commonwealth
• Courtroom experience
Salary: $52,000-$60,000, depending on experience
The VRLC provides competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance; long and short-term disability insurance; generous paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; 403(b) plan with employer match; and a caring and innovative work environment.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with both your last name and “MA Immigration
Attorney” as the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls please. We are an equal opportunity employer; and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.