The Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts (JCSM), a subsidiary of South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), a non-profit legal services program providing free civil legal assistance to eligible low-income and elder residents, seeks to hire Immigration Attorneys to work with a robust and dynamic immigration unit located in downtown Brockton, MA. The immigration unit represents clients in a wide-range of matters, including, but not limited to, asylum, U and T visas for victims of crime and trafficking, special immigrant juvenile cases, VAWA, TPS, DACA, family-based petitions, and removal defense. In addition to direct representation, the immigration unit engages in systemic advocacy, community outreach and education, and provides community clinics.
The Organization: SCCLS and its subsidiary the JCSM, with a staff of nearly 80 and 4 offices in Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford and Hyannis, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. Southeastern MA is geographically diverse and an excellent place to live. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters.
• Provide high quality zealous legal representation, counsel and/or referrals;
• Participate in, or conduct, community education, outreach, and clinic events;
• Participate in team meetings; identify and participate in impact advocacy projects;
• Engage in continuous learning in immigration law;
• Participate in other program activities to further organizational goals and mission.
• Admitted in MA, eligible for admission in MA, or sitting for the July 2022 bar exam;
• Demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse communities, including experience representing clients who may have experienced poverty, trauma or discrimination;
• Strong organizational, time management and case management skills;
• Strong oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team; ability to be flexible and adapt to client situations and changing program conditions;
• Proficiency or ability to learn legal case management systems, Microsoft Office Suite;
• Fluency in a language reflecting our client populations preferred (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Vietnamese, Khmer);
• Prior immigration law experience preferred.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries and commensurate with experience. Multi-lingual annual increment to base salary may be added for demonstrated language skills. Generous benefits and leave offered.
Apply: For full consideration, submit: letter of interest, resume, writing sample and references by May 1, 2022 to LThelin@sccls.org with subject: Immigration BR. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.