MetroWest Legal Services (“MWLS”) provides legal advocacy to protect and advance the rights of the poor, elderly, disabled and other disenfranchised people in our service area and to assist them in obtaining legal, social and economic justice. MWLS seeks to hire an immigration staff attorney for a full time position. MWLS is an exciting workplace with dedicated social justice advocates—join us!
- Provide advice and representation primarily to immigrant survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault seeking immigration relief in the form of Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA and U visa relief before the Immigration Court and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Develop and deliver trainings to community partners and client communities about immigration and the rights of immigrant juveniles and immigrant survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Develop and maintain collaborations with community partners to address systemic barriers facing MWLS’ immigrant client communities.
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further MWLS’ mission and operations.
- Admitted to Massachusetts bar or entitled to practice under SJC Rule 3:04.* Applicants who are third year law students, entitled to practice under SJC Rule 3:03 and who sat for the October 2020 bar exam will be considered.
- Experience providing immigration services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking and/or immigrant populations;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people;
- Experience interviewing and providing legal advice to survivors of trauma and abuse;
- Ability to work and advocate in a collaborative style with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds;
- Fluency/near fluency in both spoken and written Spanish or Portuguese;
- Strong organizational skills, a flexible approach and demonstrated success working collaboratively within a team;
- Excellent writing, research, and oral advocacy skills.
*An applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is based on a union scale with a starting wage of $50,000. Benefits package include generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions, student loan repayment assistance program for eligible attorneys and extensive professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law, resume, and writing sample to MetroWest Legal Services, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send and attach PDFs only. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
MWLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MWLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.