MetroWest Legal Services (“MWLS”) provides legal advocacy to protect and advance the rights of low income, elderly, immigrant, disabled and other disenfranchised people in our service area and to assist them in obtaining legal, social and economic justice. MWLS seeks to hire a staff attorney to fill a full time position. MWLS is an exciting workplace with dedicated social justice advocates—join us!
- Provide advice and direct representation primarily to Afghan nationals before the Immigration Court and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in their applications for Special Immigrant Visas, Temporary Protected Status, Asylum and other humanitarian forms of relief.
- Develop and provide trainings to community partners and client communities about immigration and the rights of Afghan nationals.
- Develop and maintain collaborations with community partners to address systemic barriers facing MWLS’ immigrant client communities.
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further MWLS’ mission and operations.
- Admitted to Massachusetts bar or entitled to practice under SJC Rule 3:04.* Applicants who are third year law students, entitled to practice under SJC Rule 3:03 and planning to sit for the September 2022 bar exam will be considered.
- Experience providing immigration humanitarian legal services to immigrants is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people is strongly preferred.
- Experience interviewing and providing legal advice to survivors of trauma and abuse is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work and advocate in a collaborative style with diverse ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic groups, as well as diversity based on ability/disability, sexual orientation and religion.
- Fluency/near fluency in both spoken and written Pashto and/or Dari is strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, an ability to multi-task, and to work collaboratively with a dynamic team.
- Excellent writing, research, and oral advocacy skills.
*An applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is based on a union scale with a starting wage of $55,000. Benefits package include generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions, student loan repayment assistance program for eligible attorneys and extensive professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law, resume, and writing sample to MetroWest Legal Services, email@example.com. Please send and attach PDFs only. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
MWLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MWLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.