Visit www.masslegalhelp.org for legal information and self-help materials about your issue.
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation supports the initatives below to help legal aid programs expand funding, develop best practices and more effectively serve low-income people.
• The Equal Justice Coalition was created by the Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston Bar Association and MLAC to protect and increase the state appropriation for civil legal aid.
• The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council improves services to low-income clients by building cultural competence among legal aid staff and addressing other diversity-related issues within Massachusetts legal aid community
• The Bart Gordon Fellowship helps legal aid programs overcome barriers to service by providing funding to hire recent law school graduates equipped to reach out to underserved communities.
• The Racial Justice Fellowship addresses pervasive problems of racial injustice through systemic advocacy and other strategies.
• The Central Technology Project seeks to standardize technology for MLAC- and Legal Services Corporation-funded legal aid programs in Massachusetts.
• The Civil Legal Aid for Victims of Crime Initiative — CLAVC — helps victims of crime throughout Massachusetts with their related civil legal problems.
• The Greater Boston Immigrant Defense Fund, a partnership between the City of Boston, the Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, and MLAC, supports legal aid and community programs that provide legal representation and education to immigrants facing deportation.
Leaders from the philanthropic community in Massachusetts discuss the return on investment of funding civil legal aid in this video made possible by a grant from the National Association of IOLTA Programs.
My legal aid attorney was heaven-sent.
Legal aid is there for people like me.
If you can’t die and go to heaven, the next best thing is having a legal aid lawyer.
I’m proud that my case set a precedent for other working parents.
Finally I can move forward thanks to my legal aid attorneys.
If I didn’t find legal aid, I would have lost my house.
Legal aid fought for us. To put it simply, we had a champion.