6 – 7PM Online Boston Bar Association
MLAC’s 2021 DEI Conference
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation hosted It’s Time: Centering Anti-Racism in Civil Legal Aid – Successes, Challenges and Next Steps from July 20 – 22, 2021.
During this virtual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion conference, we heard from leaders in the civil legal aid community and beyond to help us center race in the work that we do in the poverty and social justice space. This conference was part two of a series, which started in May at the MCLE Annual Legal Services Conference, focusing on lessons that lead to action and sustainable long term change–It’s Time!
Here’s complete list of all the sessions. Click the session title to watch.
Yoga “Wake Up”
Looking for events highlighting diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in Massachusetts? Check out our interactive calendar!
Resources – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion during the COVID-19 Pandemic
The Dual Crisis: How the COVID-19 Recession Deepens Racial and Economic Inequality Among Communities of Color – Center for Law and Social Policy
Native American Heritage Month Resources – MLAC
Indigenous Peoples Day Resources – MLAC
Black Americans, suffering disproportionately from COVID-19, face a mounting mental health crisis – Boston Globe
Black-owned restaurants to support in the Greater Boston area – Boston.com
Black American Experiences during the Covid-19 Pandemic – Harvard Library
Covid-19’s Impact on People in Prison – Equal Justice Initiative
Ripple Effect: Behind Bars During COVID – WGBH Boston
Pandemic’s front line work falls on women, minorities – CBS News
A New Study Shows Just How Badly Black Americans Have Been Hit by Covid-19 – Politico
Financial and Health Impacts of Covid-19 Vary Widely by Race and Ethnicity – Pew Research Center
Covid-19’s Race and Class Warfare – Opinion – New York Times
The Impact of Racism on the Health and Well-Being of the Nation – American Public Health Association
Black Women Have Long Faced Racism in Healthcare. COVID-19 is Only Amplifying It – The Appeal
The Science of Why Coronavirus Exposes Racism and Xenophobia – Forbes
Talking About Coronavirus Centering Language Around Inclusion, Empowerment, and Justice – The Opportunity Agenda
Why I don’t feel safe wearing a face mask – Boston Globe – Opinion
Coronavirus will overwhelm our civil legal aid system – Seattle Times – Opinion
Maintaining Mental Health During the Coronavirus Pandemic – The Steve Fund
How can employers stop discrimination during the coronavirus pandemic? – ABA Journal
Coronavirus: Protect Yourself and Stand Against Racism – Facing History and Ourselves
Emotional Well-Being and Coping During COVID-19 – University of California, San Francisco
Six Age-Appropriate Books and Resources for Teaching Kids about COVID-19 – KQED
To create a diverse, representative and collaborative environment within legal services in order to provide accessible, welcoming and culturally competent services to clients of all backgrounds and their communities.
The Massachusetts Legal Services Diversity Coalition was established by MLAC in 1990 to raise awareness of diversity issues and provide technical assistance on diversity to legal aid programs across the Commonwealth.
In 2010, MLAC’s Diversity Coalition director took on coordination of the Retention Task Force, which was created to examine disproportionate impact of the economic downturn on attorneys of color in the civil legal aid system. The Task Force finalized its recommendations in spring 2012. Its final report can be found here .
Statewide Diversity Council
The Statewide Diversity Council is a collaboration between MLAC and the legal aid organizations that it funds to identify and address issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion within civil legal aid in Massachusetts.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion News
- MLAC Statement: We Must Collaborate to End Racism
- ‘White, white, white. Then there’s me.’ A Black lawyer shares her experiences (Boston Globe)
- Walk in My Shoes: A Day in the Life of a Black Woman Attorney (Danielle Johnson, GBLS – Boston Bar Journal)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2021 Resource Sheet – MLAC
- How to Manage Your Team in Times of Political Trauma (Michelle Kim – Awaken)
- Maintaining Professionalism In The Age of Black Death Is….A Lot (Shenequa Golding – Medium)
- First Asian American Judge in Massachusetts Honored with national award. (Sampan)
- Diversity Lacking Among Judges in Massachusetts. (CBS Boston WBZ)
- Boston. Racism. Image. Reality. (Boston Globe)
- A year after a groundbreaking series on race in Boston, has anything gotten better? (Boston Globe)
- Speaking Black Dialect in Courtrooms Can Have Striking Consequences (New York Times)
Additional Articles and Resources
- Racism Is Terrible. Blackness Is Not. (Imani Perry, The Atlantic)
- Indigenous Peoples Day Resources – MLAC
- Mind Sciences Key Concepts – Perception Institute
- Prosecuting Fairly – Rachel Godsil
- Implicit Bias in the Courtroom – Kang, et al
- Racial Anxiety – Godsil and Richardson
- Microaggressions – Milo Primeaux
- Raising the Bar – Milo Primeaux
- Bringing Your Whole Self to Work in Legal Services – Milo Primeaux
- Know Your Rights – MIRA Coalition
- Terms and Definitions – YW Boston
- Instituting a Race Conscious Practice in Legal Aid – Hemley and Merchant
- Hiring Biases – Simmons University
- In Boston, the middle class is shrinking, and it’s harder to get ahead than it used to be (Boston Globe)
- Race and gender bias is rampant in law, says new report that also offers tools to fight it (ABA Journal)
- Eviction isn’t just about poverty. It’s also about race — and Virginia proves it. (Washington Post)
- In True Color: Discussion of Race, Media and Responsible Coverage (WGBH News)
- The Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice at Harvard Law School.
- DiversityInc – offers articles on a wide variety of workplace-related topics
- The Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University
- The Race Equity Project: A Special Project of Legal Services of Northern California
Legal Services & Affinity Bar Mixer
The Boston Bar Association and the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation held the first Legal Services & Affinity Bar Mixer on October 3, 2019 at 16 Beacon Street, Boston.
This interorganizational event strengthened relationships between affinity bar association attorneys and staff in the legal services community and provided an opportunity for individuals to expand their professional networks.
Disrupting Cycles of Inequity: Expanding Racial Equity in the Legal Profession
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation’s first statewide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion professional development conference.
July 18, 2019 at Simmons University in the Linda K. Paresky Center.
Advancing the Mission of Legal Services: An Examination of Structural and Insitutional Biases
• Tim Wise | Impact of Racism: Massachusetts Legal Services Attorneys and Clients of Color
• Camille Holmes | Legal Services Perspectives on Racial Justice, Diversity and Inclusion [coming soon]
• Jason Reece | Structural Analysis of Racial Disparities: Opportunity Mapping [coming soon]