HLA is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal services to low-income Massachusetts residents having difficulty accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and advice for more than 1,000 clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy and educational programming to advance its goals.
HLA’s Mental Health Advocacy Program for Kids (MHAP for Kids) diverts children with unmet mental health needs from the juvenile justice system and helps them access services. MHAP for Kids attorneys are embedded in Family Resource Centers where they help at-risk youth overcome barriers to treatment in school systems, state agencies, and the court system. A Boston University study of MHAP for Kids found that the program improves the health of children and their families. MHAP for Kids has received state funds to continue this work in the Family Resource Centers since FY’18. HLA seeks to expand MHAP for Kids statewide.
Health Law Advocates (HLA) seeks a highly qualified, motivated professional for a new position in this rapidly growing program.
The MHAP for Kids Intake Coordinator: Responsibilities
The MHAP for Kids Intake Coordinator is the first point of contact for the majority of individuals seeking assistance from MHAP for Kids. The person in this position will work closely with clients, as well as the program’s director and staff attorneys. Additionally, the MHAP for Kids Intake Coordinator will support the program’s evaluation team from the Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH).
More specific activities include:
– Conduct initial client intake phone calls and draft follow up correspondence
– Manage and triage all inquiries from individuals seeking assistance
– Perform eligibility screenings
– Manage waitlist
– Gather and organize client documents
– Maintain case files and case management system
– Interact with referral organizations
– Conduct client interviews for the BUSPH program evaluation
– Gather client questionnaires related to the BUSPH program evaluation
– Provide administrative support to legal staff
– Other duties as assigned
The MHAP for Kids Intake Coordinator: Qualifications
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
– Work both independently and as an effective team member
– Communicate clearly and professionally
– Maintain confidentiality
– Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and openness, with the desire and ability to listen and learn
– Understand and believe in the mission of the organization
– Embody the values of the organization, including embracing diversity
In addition, requirements specific to this position are:
– Bilingual proficiency (English/Spanish)
– Experience in a law office or similar
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
– Patience on the phone
– Meticulous organizational and time management skills
This position includes a robust benefits package including competitive salary (based on experience and other qualifications), comprehensive health insurance and a generous paid leave policy.
Applications must be submitted online at https://tinyurl.com/HLAcareers and will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Health Law Advocates is an AA/EO Employer. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.