Intake Specialist (Bilingual, Spanish) – VRLC
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Location: Boston, MA
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of sexual violence to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim.
All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by a candidate with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodation. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intake specialist is the first contact clients have with the VRLC. The specialist will conduct phone screenings with sexual assault survivors seeking legal assistance and provide legal assistance to attorneys representing sexual assault survivors.
- Conduct initial phone screenings with sexual assault survivors seeking civil legal assistance and/or criminal justice advocacy in Massachusetts
- Assess potential clients for eligibility for services and provide referrals
- Assist attorneys with legal casework and other administrative tasks related to direct client representation such as:
- Drafting client correspondence
- Drafting and filing court pleadings
- Conducting legal research using LexisNexis
- Drafting legal memoranda as assigned, and
- Compiling reporting data for state and federal funding
- Assist clients in gathering assault-related information and documents for their legal cases in the areas of housing, education law, employment, immigration, privacy hearings, protection orders, benefits, and victim compensation
- Work collaboratively with direct services team focused on meeting the legal needs of survivors
- Attend events, meetings, and trainings related to addressing sexual violence to build relationships with organizations working with survivors in Massachusetts
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Highly motivated, organized, and able to handle several tasks at once
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Fluency in Spanish
- B.A./B.S. and/or relevant work experience
- Experience working with trauma survivors and/or underserved communities
- Experience working in a law office
$38,500 – $42,000
- 19 paid vacation days
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Generous sick time
- Paid parental leave
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan with employer match
- Organization-sponsored life insurance
- A fun, caring, and innovative work environment
Hybrid Work: The VRLC has a Hybrid Work Policy. “Hybrid Work” is a flexible workplace model that is supportive and inclusive of employees fulfilling their job responsibilities in-office, remotely, or at another location (partner agency) for all or part of their regularly scheduled work hours. Employees have a choice in selecting a working environment that helps them be most productive while meeting the needs of the VRLC and prioritizing both a survivor-centered approach to work and survivor privacy. The ideal candidate for this position would be expected to be in the office at least twice per month.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with both your last name and “Intake Specialist” as the subject of your email. No phone calls, please.