DLC is seeking a detail-oriented investigator/advocate who is committed to the rights of people with disabilities who live in the community or in institutional settings; who possesses strong interpersonal skills to interview people with disabilities, providers and family members in a variety of settings; and, who is able to work with financial data to assure that people with disabilities are protected from financial exploitation.
Position: Investigator – Representative Payee Program
Reports To: Rep Payee Manager
Wage Class: Non Exempt
Union Classification: Eligible
Hybrid – Remote & Office Work
The Disability Law Center (DLC) is the Protection and Advocacy agency for Massachusetts. DLC is a private, non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure autonomy, inclusion, equality, and access for people with disabilities in Massachusetts.
DLC is seeking a detail-oriented investigator/advocate who is committed to the rights of people with disabilities who live in the community or in institutional settings; who possesses strong interpersonal skills to interview people with disabilities, providers, and family members in a variety of settings; and who is able to work with financial data to assure that people with disabilities are protected from financial exploitation.
The general responsibility of the investigator/advocate will be to conduct reviews of Representative Payees. Representative Payees receive and manage Social Security payments on behalf of individuals with disabilities.
Candidates residing outside of the Greater Boston area will be considered, depending upon their location and ability to travel.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting reviews to ensure suitability of representative payees.
- Interviewing beneficiaries and others.
- Documenting observations.
- Examining financial records.
- Gathering information regarding appropriate financial management.
- Identifying possible health, safety, or rights violations.
- Preparing reports and ensuring data entry pursuant to federal grant requirements.
- Conducting outreach to beneficiaries and community organizations.
- Educating Representative Payees to ensure that they fully understand their duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: sociology, psychology, social work, or other related human services fields with experience in advocacy on behalf of persons with disabilities or other vulnerable communities (2+ years); OR A minimum of four (4) years of experience in human services area, with at least three (3) years of direct experience working with individuals with disabilities; OR a comparable combination of educational and work experience.
- Successful completion of government clearance by the United States Government Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is required for this position. Clearance must be completed/obtained within the first 3 months of hire. In addition, continued eligibility for government clearance by OPM is required.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and analytical.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to complete and submit reports within stringent required time limits.
- Strong ability to: work independently; be accountable for work scheduling and deadlines, and; maintain confidentiality.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing and databases.
- The ability to significantly travel throughout Massachusetts to perform assigned job tasks.
- Prior experience conducting investigations such as site visits, compliance audits or other regulatory matters, especially involving individuals with disabilities, or interviewing or working with individuals with various disabilities, highly preferred.
- Bilingual fluency in another language and/or American Sign Language (ASL).
An Investigator will use a personal computer approximately 2-4 hours per day and will spend approximately 2-4 hours per day in meetings with individuals and groups. This position will require sitting for approximately 4-6 hours/day. The employee will be required to work under time constraints; deadlines; and will be required to address complex issues and conflicts as they arise. Frequent local travel is required – 50%+.
The starting salary range for this position is $49,400 – $57,800
DLC has a very generous benefits package. For details, please visit:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following materials in Microsoft Word format on the form located here.
- Cover Letter, which must indicate willingness to complete the required SSA suitability clearance background investigation and maintain SSA required clearance or information pertaining to a current security clearance.
- Resume, including 3 references.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION MISSION STATEMENT
DLC is committed to protecting the fundamental human rights of its clients by providing zealous advocacy and representation. In fulfilling our mission, DLC must foster diversity at all levels of the agency. We are dedicated to understanding our clients’ diverse circumstances and meeting their needs as well as maintaining an inclusive environment that supports success and the well-being of staff.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
DLC values diversity of culture, disability, and other life experiences, and is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer by choice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information (including family medic.al history), military service, veteran status, age, citizenship, disability, marital status, or status as a parent/guardian. We endorse and support the intent of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are applicants or employees who need accommodations.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this position description is to serve as a general summary and overview of the major duties and responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to represent the entirety of the job nor is it intended to be all–inclusive. Management reserves the right to modify, or rescind, this position description at any time, with or without prior notice.