Community Legal Aid (CLA) seeks a Managing Attorney to join the management team of a dynamic civil legal aid organization serving low-income and elderly people in Central and Western Mass. CLA has over 140 dedicated, talented staff working across multiple offices. Our core work includes effective client-centered advocacy and robust outreach to and partnerships with our client communities.
The position is for CLA’s Worcester office, which is the organization’s largest office with a staff of about 50 people. The Managing Attorney will help with office administration and management, including conducting regular staff meetings; participating in the writing of annual performance reviews of staff; coordinating appropriate training and providing support for staff; and assisting in the handling of issues arising with the physical plant. The Managing Attorney will also be expected to act as the face of the organization in Worcester County, including regularly attending bar functions, funder meetings, agency get-togethers, and other community events. The Managing Attorney will assist with fundraising initiatives and grant-acquisition, writing, and reporting activities. The Managing Attorney may also handle a small caseload commensurate with their administrative duties.
- Must be an experienced attorney who is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or eligible for admission to the bar at the time of hiring.
- Experience working with low-income populations; the ability to relate effectively to a diverse staff and clientele; and strong supervision and communication skills.
- Experience in management, administration, or leadership in a non-profit legal or human services program strongly preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Worcester County, and vision for maintaining and enhancing CLA’s ties to the community.
- Very strong preference for candidates who currently live in or are willing to relocate to Worcester County, preferably the City of Worcester or surrounding towns. Candidates must commit to regularly working in person in CLA’s Worcester office, including attending community meetings before and after normal work hours on occasion.
- Must have a proven track record of collaborating effectively, being a team player, and an openness to supervision and learning from others.
- Strong public speaking skills, including experience conducting community outreach and trainings.
- Legal advocacy experience in one or more of CLA’s core practice areas a plus.
Please submit cover letter and resume online: http://communitylegal.isolvedhire.com/jobs/480433.html, by email, or by mail to Alicia Vaughan HR Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, Community Legal Aid, 405 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608.
CLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. CLA encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.