The Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts, a subsidiary of South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit legal services program providing free civil legal assistance to eligible low-income and elder residents, seeks to hire Legal Secretaries for the JCSM office located in downtown Brockton.
The Organization: SCCLS and its subsidiary the JCSM, with a staff of nearly 80 and 4 offices in Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford and Hyannis, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. Southeastern MA is geographically diverse and an excellent place to live. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters.
Responsibilities include: Greet and assist clients and others appearing at the office for assistance including intake and other information gathering. Perform client screening and intake, especially for senior clients. Explain client grievance procedure. Provide legal case management system support and general office support, including answering and routing phone calls, scan/copy/fax legal documents in timely manner.
• Prior experience working in a professional setting required; strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and ability to be flexible preferred;
• Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task required;
• Ability to type and to become proficient with legal case management systems required; Microsoft Office Suite proficiency required; overall tech savvy skills desirable;
• Demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse communities; experience working with people who may have experienced poverty, trauma or discrimination required;
• Fluency in a language reflecting our client populations (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Vietnamese, Khmer) preferred.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive compensation based on comparable non-profit salaries and commensurate with experience. Multi-lingual annual increment to base salary may be added for demonstrated language skills. Generous benefits and leave offered.
Apply: Submit letter of interest, resume and references to Lthelin@sccls.org with subject: Legal Secretary BR. Positions open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.