The Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts (JCSM), a subsidiary of South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), a non-profit legal services program providing free civil legal assistance to eligible low-income and elder residents, seeks to hire Legal Secretaries for the JCSM office in downtown Brockton, MA.
The Organization: SCCLS and its subsidiary the JCSM, with a staff of nearly 80 and 4 offices in Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford and Hyannis, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. Southeastern MA is geographically diverse and an excellent place to live. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters.
Responsibilities include: Greet and assist clients and others appearing at the office for assistance including intake and other information gathering. Perform client screening and intake; explain client grievance procedure. Provide legal case management system support and general office support including answering phones.
- Demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse communities; experience working with people who may have experienced poverty, trauma or discrimination;
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task;
- Fluency in a language reflecting our client populations preferred (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Vietnamese, Khmer).
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work independently; ability to be flexible;
- Ability to learn legal case management systems, Microsoft Office Suite.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries and commensurate with experience. Multi-lingual annual increment to base salary may be added for demonstrated language skills. Generous benefits and leave offered.
Apply: For full consideration, submit: letter of interest, resume and references to email@example.com with subject: Legal Secretary BR.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.