General Position Description
Prisoners Legal Services (PLS) is seeking an outstanding full-time legal secretary to answer calls from clients and others and to support the administrative and legal work of the office. Prisoners’ Legal Services is a Massachusetts nonprofit legal services office founded in 1972 that provides civil legal assistance to the approximately 19,000 people incarcerated in Massachusetts state prisons (Department of Correction facilities) and county jails and houses of correction. The organization promotes the safe, humane and lawful treatment of Massachusetts prisoners through civil rights litigation, administrative advocacy, client counseling, and outreach to policy makers and the public. The office prioritizes work involving health and mental health care, assaults by staff, extreme conditions of confinement (particularly overcrowding), and misuse of segregation and isolation.
This position is full-time and supervised by the Executive Director.
Responsibilities for this position include:
• Answering and routing telephone calls;
• Drafting letters and legal documents including court documents;
• Providing legal support to attorneys and paralegals including litigation support for preparing for a filing or hearing, assisting with discovery and other support tasks;
• Scheduling depositions;
• Preparing mailings as well as receiving and processing mail;
• Scanning documents and routing them to advocates;
• Processing payments for case, project or other office related costs;
• Assist in improving systems and standard operating procedures;
• Participate in monthly PLS staff meetings and regular supervision meetings;
• Law student clearances and setting law students up with Westlaw accounts;
• Work cooperatively with prisoner clients and PLS staff;
• All other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director or supervisors
• Strong skills in answering and routing telephone calls;
• Strong computer literacy including word processing skills, use of client databases, Office Suite, excel and mail merge;
• Ability to maintain professional demeanor and interact with a wide variety of people;
• Must be comfortable having frequent contact with prisoner clients through telephone and letter and advocating for their needs;
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment and stay calm under pressure;
• Ability to work during regular business hours (8-4, 8:30-4:30 or 9-5);
• Strong organizational and administrative skills;
• Ability to work cooperatively and shift gears when needed;
• Attention to detail;
• Ability to speak and write in Spanish strongly preferred or another commonly used local language such as Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole or Vietnamese;
• Experience working with and advocating for marginalized populations preferred;
• Experience working in a law office or legal setting preferred;
• Applicants will be asked to demonstrate professional writing skills by drafting a letter at the time of the interview.
Benefits and Salary
PLS offers salary competitive with the legal services field and commensurate with experience. The salary range is from $34-$68,000 depending on experience. PLS provides a comprehensive benefits package, including family medical and dental coverage, 401K plan and life insurance. Bi-cultural, bilingual, LGBTQIA, people of color, and formerly incarcerated candidates strongly encouraged to apply. PLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com No phone calls or mail inquiries please.