MetroWest Legal Services (“MWLS”) seeks candidates for a one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal for one (1) additional year, Attorney Fellowship position beginning on July 1, 2021. MWLS is a non-profit legal services program that provides legal advocacy to protect and advance the rights of the poor, elderly, disabled and other disenfranchised people in our service area and to assist them in obtaining legal, social and economic justice. The purpose of the Bart Gordon Fellowship position is to provide civil legal services to low-income communities who may have difficulty accessing the justice system due to linguistic, racial, cultural or disability barriers, and also to encourage careers in legal services.
· Provide advice and representation to immigrant juveniles currently enrolled in the Marlborough Public School system who are seeking immigration relief in the form of Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA and U visa relief before the Immigration Court and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
· Develop and provide trainings for the Marlborough Public School students, staff and families about immigration and the rights of immigrant juveniles.
· Develop and maintain a collaboration with the Marlborough Public Schools to address systemic barriers facing MWLS’ immigrant client communities.
· Engage in other tasks and projects that further MWLS’ mission and operations.
· Priority will be given to eligible graduates who are within thirty-six (36) months of their law school graduation.
· Admission to the Massachusetts bar.
· Experience providing immigration services to immigrant juveniles, survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking and/or immigrant populations is strongly preferred.
· Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people is strongly preferred.
· Ability to work and advocate in a collaborative style with diverse ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic groups, as well as diversity based on ability/disability, sexual orientation and religion.
· Fluency/near fluency in both spoken and written Spanish or Portuguese is required.
· Strong organizational skills, an ability to multi-task, and to work collaboratively with a dynamic team.
· Excellent writing, research, and oral advocacy skills.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is based on a union scale with a starting wage of $50,000. Benefits package include generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions, student loan repayment assistance program for eligible attorneys and extensive professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law, resume, and and writing sample to MetroWest Legal Services, email@example.com. Please send and attach PDFs only. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
MWLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MWLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.