Massachusetts Advocates for Children (MAC) is a mission-driven advocacy and direct service nonprofit organization dedicated to removing barriers to educational and life opportunities for children and youth. Based in Boston, we employ a racial equity perspective to improve educational options for all children, while also helping one child and family at a time.
At MAC, all staff perform administrative duties related to their work, but the organization employs an Office Manager to carry out and coordinate core administrative tasks guaranteeing the smooth functioning of the entire organization. We seek an enthusiastic, well-organized, and collaborative individual to assume that role. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Office Manager will interact directly with all staff, the Board of Directors and the public. Since this position represents the first point of contact with MAC for many people, we hope to employ someone who understands and is committed to our mission. This is a great opportunity for growth and professional development for the right candidate.
In addition to receiving all visitors to MAC’s office, the Office Manager sees to the effective functioning of organizational systems in the areas of financial record keeping, human resources and vendor relations. MAC’s Office Manager must be comfortable working with fixed deadlines, managing multiple projects and interacting productively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. If you are a people person with experience in administration and a passion for educational equity, we would very much like to meet you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Serve as receptionist and welcome visitors to MAC’s office. Distribute mail.
– Manage office systems, including filing, mail handling, book orders, office supplies and procurement
– As required, provide executive support, including board meeting logistics and limited support to program staff
– Manage relations with all external vendors
– Coordinate human resources and benefits administration and onboarding of new staff
– Provide basic technical and computer support to staff, coordinate with IT consultants
– Manage phone equipment (setting up and administer voicemail, etc.) and network copier/printer
– Prepare bi-monthly payroll, handle accounts payable and accounts receivable
– Provide monthly financial reports to Executive Director and Financial Administrator
– Process staff reimbursement requests and timesheets
– Prepare documents for annual organizational audit
– Record donations and pledges in Quickbooks
Qualifications and Skills:
– High school diploma required; additional education preferred.
– 3+ years as an office manager or administrative assistant (alternate experience considered)
– Knowledge of basic financial recordkeeping, experience with QuickBooks or similar program
– Proven proficiency in basic MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
– Hands-on knowledge of basic office machines (e.g., printers, telephones, personal computers)
– Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, accurate data-entry skills required
– Written and oral proficiency in a second language widely used in Massachusetts preferred
– Demonstrated organizational skills, initiative, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment.
– Great people skills, ability to interact easily with a wide variety of stakeholders
– Able to handle confidential information with high level of discretion
– Commitment to the mission and work of MAC preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
– This position is full-time at MAC office in downtown Boston, with easy access to a variety of public transit options (all staff currently working remotely).
– Starting annual salary range in the mid-to-high 40s, commensurate with experience.
– Generous benefits including health insurance, paid vacation, two personal days and 11 holidays each year.
– Pre-tax programs for commuter and health expenses.
– Work with a collegial and inspiring team that values and respects your contributions to our success!
– Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com with “Office Manager” in the subject line
– Three recent professional references will be required upon request.
Massachusetts Advocates for Children is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.