Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS seeks a full-time paralegal to join the Housing Instability Legal Aid (HILA) project within our Housing Unit until December 31, 2022. HILA was formed to expand the resources of existing legal aid organizations in Massachusetts to respond to the expected increase in eviction filings associated with COVID. Teams of paralegals and lawyers provide support and legal representation at different stages of the eviction process.
- Work closely with attorneys on eviction cases, including drafting correspondence, attending meetings with clients, and engaging in community education and outreach;
- Assist tenants in applying for rental assistance programs and advocate with the agencies that administer rental assistance;
- Assist with some case handling responsibilities, including reviewing and drafting basic court pleadings and forms;
- Triage cases and identify imminent or urgent deadlines;
- Perform other duties as assigned, consistent with provision of quality client services.
- Able to relate to community groups, individuals and professionals;
- Able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Capacity to identify and analyze legal and other problems;
- Able to do basic word processing for own needs and perform data entry;
- A person of demonstrated concern for and commitment to the goals of legal aid and housing justice;
- Able to draft and review letters, training materials, basic court pleadings (prior experience with court forms not required), and other written materials;
- Able to work in various programs associated with Microsoft Office; and
- Experience in working with interpreters or fluency in a language in addition to English that is spoken by GBLS clients, such as Spanish or Haitian Creole, among others, is helpful but not required.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary is based on a union scale. GBLS offers a generous benefits package, including health and dental insurance and generous PTO leave.
How to Apply
- Candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume including a description of any prior public interest legal work or other advocacy on behalf of low-income communities and individuals.
Applications should be submitted to the Personnel Team via email at email@example.com. Please refer to job code: HILA-PARA when applying for this position. Deadline is December 14, 2021, or until position is filled, with applications to be reviewed on a rolling basis.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.