An exciting opportunity to support legal representation for at-risk children within a growing program of a leading non-profit, public interest law firm.
HLA is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal services to low-income Massachusetts residents having difficulty accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and advice for more than 1,000 clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy and educational programming to advance its goals.
HLA’s Mental Health Advocacy Program for Kids (MHAP for Kids) diverts children with unmet mental health needs from the juvenile justice system and helps them access services. MHAP for Kids attorneys are embedded in Family Resource Centers where they help at-risk youth overcome barriers to treatment in school systems, state agencies, and the court system. A Boston University study of MHAP for Kids found that the program improves the health of children and their families. MHAP for Kids has received state funds to continue this work in the Family Resource Centers since FY’18. HLA seeks to expand MHAP for Kids statewide.
Health Law Advocates seeks a highly qualified, motivated professional for a new position in this rapidly growing program.
The MHAP for Kids Paralegal: Responsibilities
The MHAP for Kids Paralegal provides critical support to the program’s seven attorneys. This individual assists with routine and non-routine tasks that are important but do not require an attorney’s qualifications. The majority of the work relates to client matters, but there may be opportunities to support other functions in furtherance of HLA’s mission.
The primary responsibility of the Paralegal is to take direction from the staff attorneys and provide whatever support is needed at a given time. Sample duties are:
– Request and organize client records
– Review and summarize school, medical, and treatment records
– Attend meetings with MHAP for Kids staff attorneys
– Prepare documents for hearings
– Assist with program evaluation as needed
– Other duties as assigned
The MHAP for Kids Paralegal: Qualifications
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
– Work both independently and as an effective team member
– Communicate clearly and professionally
– Maintain confidentiality
– Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and openness, with the desire and ability to listen and learn
– Understand and believe in the mission of the organization
– Embody the values of the organization, including embracing diversity
In addition, requirements specific to this position are:
– Bilingual proficiency (English/Spanish)
– Legal background
– Proficiency in Microsoft software
– Sense of humor and enthusiasm for public interest advocacy
– Ability to work with families in crisis with compassion for the challenges they face
– Meticulous organizational and time management skills
– Ability to effectively multi-task
This position includes a robust benefits package including competitive salary (based on experience and other qualifications), comprehensive health insurance and a generous paid leave policy.
Applications must be submitted online at https://tinyurl.com/HLAcareers and will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Health Law Advocates is an AA/EO Employer. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.