An exciting opportunity to support legal representation for at-risk children within a growing program of a leading non-profit, public interest law firm.
HLA provides free legal services to Massachusetts residents in low-income situations who face barriers to accessing health care. Learn more about us at www.healthlawadvocates.org.
MHAP for Kids improves the health and increases the educational success of children with unmet mental health needs. Experienced staff attorneys provide free legal representation to families with low income, advocating for access to mental health services and diverting children from the juvenile justice and child welfare systems. Learn more about us at www.mhapforkids.org.
Duties and Responsibilities
Each paralegal provides critical support to attorneys and works closely with clients from intake through closure. The person in this position is the first point of contact for clients and assists with routine and non-routine tasks that are important but do not require an attorney’s training.
More specific activities include:
- Intake: Conduct initial client intake phone calls and draft follow up correspondence; manage and triage all inquiries from individuals seeking assistance; perform client eligibility screenings; manage client waitlist; interact with client referral organizations
- Case work: Maintain case management system; secure signed release forms and verify MassHealth enrollment; gather and organize client documents; review and summarize school, medical, and treatment records; attend meetings with attorneys; prepare documents for hearings; conduct background research
- Administrative support: Order supplies; handle outgoing and incoming mail; scan documents
- Research support: Conduct client interviews and gather client questionnaires to support an evaluation of MHAP for Kids by a research team at the Boston University School of Public Health
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
- Work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Collaborate with and support staff at all levels of our organization.
- Communicate clearly and professionally.
- Maintain confidentiality and, for attorneys, strict adherence to all professional responsibility requirements for the practice of law.
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity, openness, and the desire and ability to listen and learn.
- Understand and believe in the mission of the organization.
- Embody the values of the organization, including a commitment to decreasing inequity in our health care system and society as a whole.
Minimum requirements specific to this position include:
- Legal or consumer assistance background
- Proficiency in Microsoft software
- Sense of humor and enthusiasm for public interest advocacy
- Patience on the phone
- Meticulous organizational and time management skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
Other preferred qualifications:
- Bilingual skills (English and Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Haitian Creole)
The salary range for this position is $41,000 – $47,000 annually. HLA offers a robust benefits package including comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, and a generous paid leave policy.
Applications must be submitted online at https://hlainc.efficientapply.com/jobs/ and will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please include a cover letter.
HLA is committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of HLA’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, so we can best serve our clients. People of color, women, people living with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, and people who speak English as a second language are strongly encouraged to apply.