South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS) seeks Paralegal(s) to work from its Fall River Law Office.
Duties Include: The primary duty will be to conduct telephone intakes with individuals applying for civil legal services. Other duties will include: in person interviewing, counseling and some advocacy on behalf of clients, legal research and implementation of legal education programs; and grant reporting. The paralegals will work closely with an attorney supervisor and other advocacy staff.
1. General understanding of the problems encountered by low-income families and elders in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & Islands.
2. Ability to conduct client interviews, community education events and administrative hearings;
3. Ability to meet, deal with and relate to people with diverse values, opinions and cultures;
4. Ability to work efficiently as a team member, often under pressure;
5. Ability to communicate fluently in English and Spanish, Portuguese, or Cape Verdean Creole is strongly preferred.
6. Ability to use Microsoft Office and Outlook, including Excel, and SCCLS’ case management system;
7. Ability and willingness to become familiar with substantive areas of the law (housing, family, immigration, benefits, consumer etc.); and to respond to requests from funders
Because outreach may be involved in this position, access to a car during working hours is necessary.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
(Bi-Lingual Increment in Addition to Salary: Up to $1,500 Annually)
EXCELLENT BENEFITS: Medical, dental, long/short term disability, life insurance, loan repayment for attorneys, bilingual stipend, a 403b retirement plan, and generous leave.
APPLY by resume with references by email to: email@example.com
Subject Line: Paralegal Position
SCCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer