Paralegal (One Year Long-Term Temporary), Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic – GBLS
September 28, 2022
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS seeks applicants for a one year, long-term temporary, paralegal position in the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic of the Employment Law Unit (ELU). The clinic carries out its work through: (1) direct representation of individual clients and their families; (2) systemic administrative advocacy to improve access and services at the state (DOR) and federal (IRS) tax agencies; and (3) outreach and community education to inform marginalized groups about tax credits. The paralegal will receive training to work in a team with 3 lawyers and the unit’s support staff.
- Outreach targeted to very low-income clients who did not receive the COVID 2020 and 2021 stimulus payments and/or special 2021 Child Tax Credit
- Handle tax controversy cases for clients
- Provide high quality representation in all aspects of this work, including:
- Interviewing and other communications with clients and third parties to obtain initial information
- Determining the relevant questions and documents needed to assess and handle the case
- Preparing written communication (email, letters, updates, case lists) for advocacy and other purposes, tailored to the context and the person(s) to which it is directed
- Drafting memos for administrative-level advocacy and appeals
- Documenting all case work in GBLS’s case management system
- Desire to work with families and individuals facing language, technical, or bureaucratic barriers as they access tax benefits
- Strong organizational skills required for a large case volume
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience in legal or other advocacy, or demonstrated relevant skills
- A plus, but not required: fluency in Spanish or Portuguese.
GBLS offers a generous benefits package and paid time off. The position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement between GBLS and the Staff Association, which governs salary and benefits. Current salary range for a Paralegal position is between $38,500 and $85,750 per year depending on experience.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to the Human Resources Team via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job Code: ELU-TAX PARA-LTT when applying for this position. The deadline for applying is October 16, 2022, or until the position is filled.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds.