Status: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Location: Primarily remote/2 days per month in western Massachusetts office
The Victim Rights Law Center’s Massachusetts office is hiring a paralegal! As sexual violence is at the forefront of the national dialogue, more survivors are coming forward with their safety, privacy, education, housing, employment, financial stability, and immigration needs. We need a smart, compassionate paralegal to join us in leading a new response to sexual violence.
The VRLC is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal services to sexual assault survivors in Oregon and Massachusetts. The VRLC also provides national training and support for lawyers, advocates, and other victim service providers. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault to help rebuild their lives, and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim. Applicants must support our mission. Applicants must also share our commitment to transform the response to sexual violence through survivor-led, trauma-informed, and anti-oppressive legal practice. Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, sexual assault survivors, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position will work primarily remotely, except for 2 days a month out of VRLC’s western MA office in Belchertown and occasional meetings as requested by supervisors in Boston, MA.
The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodations. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assist attorneys with legal casework and other administrative tasks related to direct client representation such as:
- Drafting client correspondence
- Drafting and filing court pleadings
- Conducting legal research using LexisNexis and drafting memoranda as assigned
- Compiling reporting data for state and federal funding
- Assist survivor-clients in gathering assault-related information and documents for their legal cases in the areas of housing, education law, employment, immigration, privacy hearings, protection orders, benefits, and Victim Compensation
- Perform administrative tasks such as creating files, records maintenance, scheduling meetings, mailings, copying, filing, shredding, closing files, etc.
- Work collaboratively with direct services team focused on meeting the legal needs of survivors
- Potentially work at the Belchertown, MA office up to 2 days per month
- Occasional meetings as requested by supervisor in Boston, MA
- Other duties as directed
- Bachelor’s degree and/or relevant work experience
- Strong writing, verbal, and computer skills
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines, multi-task, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated success at working effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment, with a commitment to promoting inclusion and cultural responsiveness
- Valid driver’s license and comfort driving throughout the Commonwealth
- Experience working with trauma survivors and/or underserved communities
- Fluency in additional languages
Salary: $35,000-$45,000, depending on experience (potential language stipend)
Benefits: the VRLC provides competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, personal, vacation, and sick leave, 403b plan with employer match, free monthly transit pass, and a caring and innovative work environment. In 2022, the VRLC will be closed for non-emergencies the weeks of 7/4 and 12/26.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with both your last name and “Paralegal” as the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.