De Novo is a community-based agency providing free civil legal services and affordable psychological counseling for low-income people.
General Responsibilities: The Legal Assistant is responsible for screening callers for legal services eligibility and for referring callers to program attorneys or outside referrals. She/he provides administrative support to the Immigration Unit and may be called upon to provide Spanish/English interpretation/translation.
1. Respond to telephone inquiries for legal assistance:
a. Screen callers for program eligibility.
b. Interview clients by telephone and when appropriate, in person.
c. Enter client information into database.
d. Write intake memorandum in database.
e. Provide information and referral to callers.
f. Work with the Immigration Unit in setting up appointments for legal consultation and in-depth intake interviews.
2. Perform basic administrative duties including copying, scanning, organizing files, entering data and preparing mailings
3. Assist the Immigration Unit in collection and preparation of documents for asylum, VAWA, U-visa, and SIJ cases.
4. Assist clients in filling out a variety of immigration forms and applications.
5. Provide Spanish/English interpretation for attorneys, including interpreting for client interviews, monitoring interpretation at court proceedings, communicating with clients about developments in their cases, and translation of documents.
6. Coordinate with De Novo’s Counseling Program to refer legal clients for assessment and/or counseling when appropriate.
7. Assist in the preparation of funding and/or program development proposals and grant reports. Conduct activities required by grant obligations.
8. Participate in monthly staff meetings and legal program meetings and other organizational/legal program activities as requested.
• Minimum associate degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
• Experience working with a broad range of people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and people with low incomes.
• Excellent writing and oral skills. Strong computer skills.
• Bilingual English/Spanish required.
To apply: Email a cover letter and resume to John Froio, Deputy Director, De Novo, Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
De Novo is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace.
Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.