De Novo, a community-based agency providing free legal services and affordable psychological counseling forlow-income people, seeks a part-time attorney to handle disability benefits cases. (21 hours per week)
– Representing clients in Social Security/SSI disability cases, from applications through administrative proceedings or judicial review.
– Recruiting, training, and supervising volunteer attorneys and law students to handle cases.
– Participating in coalitions and task forces; working with community-based and legal service organizations; conducting outreach and community legal education.
– Admitted to Massachusetts bar (or a bar of another state**).
– Three to six years of legal experience preferred.
– Experience representing low-income people in court and administrative proceedings required.
– Experience representing people in Social Security/SSI disability benefits cases.
– Experience working with and/or representing a broad range of people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people with low incomes.
– Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills.
– Ability to supervise effectively.
– Strong computer skills.
– Experience working with interpreters or fluency in language(s) in addition to English preferred.
**An applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must be eligible to practice as a foreign lawyer under SJC Rule 3.04 and become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Commensurate with Experience. Generous benefits included.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law and resume, to John Froio, Deputy Director, De Novo, Email address: email@example.com Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
De Novo is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace. Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.