De Novo, a community-based agency providing free legal services and affordable psychological counseling for low-income people, seeks an experienced attorney (14-17 hours per week) to handle housing cases.
– Coordinating and staffing De Novo’s Lawyer for the Day Clinic at the Eastern Division – Middlesex Session of the Massachusetts Housing Court. This session occurs every Friday morning at Cambridge District Court. Provide legal assistance, including advice, brief service, legal representation, case consultation, in-depth intake, and referrals to clients in judicial and administrative proceedings involving evictions, access to public and subsidized housing, and termination of housing subsidies.
– Recruiting, training, and supervising volunteer attorneys to handle cases.
– Participating in coalitions and task forces; working with community-based and legal service organizations; conducting outreach and community legal education.
– Admitted to Massachusetts bar (or a bar of another state**).
– Experience representing low-income people in court and administrative proceedings.
– Experience representing low-income people in housing cases strongly preferred.
– Experience working with and/or representing a broad range of people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people with low incomes.
– Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills. Strong computer skills.
– Bilingual preferred.
**An applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must be eligible to practice as a foreign lawyer under SJC Rule 3.04 and become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Commensurate with Experience. Generous benefits included.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law and resume to John Froio, Deputy Director, De Novo, Email address: email@example.com. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
CLSACC is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace. Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.