Private Attorney Involvement Program Coordinator (Fall River) – SCCLS
South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), a growing non-profit legal aid program, seeks to hire a Coordinator for its Private Attorney Involvement (PAI) Program. The PAI Coordinator motivates and leads an engaged advocacy community, private bar and volunteers in the provision of civil legal services to the most vulnerable residents of the region. The Coordinator will develop relationships that increase the provision of civil legal aid to low-income residents of the region by cultivating and coordinating outreach efforts to the private bar, judiciary and legal community.
SCCLS and its subsidiary, the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts (JCSM), with a combined staff of nearly 80, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. SCCLS law offices are located in Hyannis, New Bedford and Fall River. The Justice Center is located in Brockton. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, engage and nurture pro bono relationships between law firms, corporation counsel, members of the private bar, and SCCLS;
- Timely screen and refer cases to the private bar; provide support and oversight to ensure timely civil legal services are provided to low-income eligible clients;
- Ensure adherence to program and case handling standards, funder requirements and the highest professional standards; establish and implement PAI program policies in conjunction with ED/DD;
- Create and maintain data systems; monitor program quality; efficiently complete program reporting requirements; and quickly respond to requests for information;
- Offer and supervise pro se workshops and clinics to assist applicants with targeted services; expand or alter services as needed to address emerging legal needs of client communities;
- Effectively engage with the organization’s leadership team, advocacy staff, the judiciary, law schools, and the private bar to promote use of volunteers to further SCCLS’ advocacy goals and strengthen its capacity to serve clients;
- Identify and participate in opportunities that develop leadership capacity and expand substantive legal knowledge that results in PAI program growth;
- Admitted in MA or eligible for admission, JD only and/or non-lawyers who possess demonstrated familiarity with civil legal services or MA legal system will be considered;
- Experience and/or commitment working with vulnerable or marginalized populations who may have experienced poverty, trauma or discrimination;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; goal and detail oriented with ability to prioritize required; organizing or leadership experience desirable;
- Commitment to race equity, anti-racism and economic justice in the workplace and in providing legal services;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required; tech-savvy and social media literate desirable;
- Ability to engage effectively in person and remotely with people from diverse cultures, with diverse opinions and values, including with staff, volunteers, students, community members and funders;
- Fluency in a second language which reflects our client communities (Spanish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Khmer) desirable;
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: SCCLS salaries are based on a collective bargaining agreement scale with yearly standard increases, multi-lingual annual increment for demonstrated language skills. Benefits package: health and dental with supplemental coverage, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, 403(b), loan forgiveness. Generous paid leave including sick, vacation, personal and holidays.
APPLY: Submit letter of interest, resume and writing sample by email to: LThelin@sccls.org with Subject Line: PAI Coordinator. For timely and comprehensive consideration, applications should be received by November 11, 2022. Application reviews will begin immediately.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.