Community Legal Aid (CLA), the free civil legal aid organization serving the low-income and elderly residents of Central and Western Massachusetts, has an exciting opportunity for a creative and visionary leader to oversee its pro bono operations. CLA seeks a Pro Bono Director who will have primary responsibility for building and maintaining a vibrant pro bono program at CLA and promoting the delivery of high-quality legal services by volunteer lawyers, law students, paralegals and other professionals in coordination with CLA attorneys and staff. CLA is a fiscally sound, administratively strong agency supported by a dedicated staff, management team, and Board of Directors. CLA has over 100 staff working across multiple offices, and a budget of $10 million.
The Pro Bono Director will be a member of CLA’s management team and will supervise CLA’s Pro Bono Coordinators. S/he will formulate CLA’s long-term programmatic and strategic pro bono goals and objectives; engage in communications and marketing for CLA’s pro bono programming; recruit private attorneys to participate in CLA’s pro bono programs; train, mentor, support and retain pro bono volunteers; participate in local and state pro bono committees; and administer and manage grants for pro bono services.
The Pro Bono Director will be based in CLA’s Worcester or Springfield office and will travel to the company’s other offices to meet with staff, volunteers, and key stakeholders.
• Experience as a practicing attorney (minimum of three years preferred) and ability to practice law in Massachusetts.
• Demonstrates commitment to legal services for low-income people.
• Demonstrates understanding of private law firm and corporate pro bono culture.
• Experience supervising, training, and mentoring staff or volunteers (preferably pro bono lawyers).
• Demonstrates the ability and knowledge to develop and manage projects with a broad range of stakeholders.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the intersection between pro bono work and development.
• Excellent planning, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. Excellent team-building and team leadership skills.
• Ability to learn and follow CLA’s case management protocols and pro bono-related grant compliance and reporting requirements.
• Ability and willingness to travel throughout CLA’s five-county service area.
Resume and cover letter to Eileen Messier, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com or to Community Legal Aid, 405 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE.