Status: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Location: Belchertown, MA/Temporarily Remote
The Victim Rights Law Center’s Massachusetts office is hiring a paralegal! As sexual violence is at the forefront of the national dialogue, more survivors are coming forward with their safety, privacy, education, housing, employment, financial stability, and immigration needs. We need a smart, compassionate paralegal to join us in leading a new response to sexual violence.
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to survivors of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon, and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of rape and sexual assault to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim. All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by a paralegal with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, survivors, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodations. For assistance contact the People and Culture Manager, Evelyne Martial, at 617-399-6720, x34.
• Assist attorneys with legal casework and other administrative tasks related to direct client representation such as:
o Drafting client correspondence
o Drafting and filing court pleadings
o Conducting legal research using LexisNexis and drafting memoranda as assigned
o Compiling reporting data for state and federal funding
• Assist survivor-clients in gathering assault-related information and documents for their legal cases in the areas of housing, education law, employment,
immigration, privacy hearings, protection orders, benefits, and Victim Compensation
• Perform administrative tasks such as creating files, records maintenance, scheduling meetings, mailings, copying, filing, shredding, closing files etc.
• Work collaboratively with direct services team focused on meeting the legal needs of survivors
• Other duties as directed
• Bachelor of Arts and/or relevant work experience
• Strong writing, verbal, and computer skills
• Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines, multi-task, and work both independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated success at working effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment, with a commitment to promoting inclusion and cultural responsiveness
• Experience working with trauma survivors and/or underserved communities
• Fluency in additional languages
Salary: $17,000-$19,000 for this part-time position, depending on experience
Benefits: VRLC provides competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, personal, vacation, and sick leave, 403b plan with employer match, free monthly transit pass, and a caring and innovative work environment.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with both your last name and “Paralegal” as
the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law