Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Greater Boston Legal Services is a social and economic justice-driven organization dedicated to ensuring that all residents of the Greater Boston area are able to meet their basic needs for safety, shelter, and stability. GBLS uses the law to positively change the lives of thousands of low-income clients and their families annually, and to achieve groundbreaking outcomes that challenge the systems that keep people in poverty.
Position: GBLS seeks a full-time bilingual Receptionist to join our team. This position serves as the first point of contact for potential and current clients and helps direct them to appropriate resources.
Location: This position is based in our Boston office – 197 Friend Street, Boston, MA 02114 -and it is in person five days a week.
Hours: This position is for 35 hours a week. The daily schedule will be based on coverage needs and may change over time but will be regular. Normal office operations time is Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Answer phone and apply protocols to screen callers and understand their needs.
- Using online communications system to connect callers to requested extensions or refer appropriately.
- Keep client information confidential and use discretion.
- Look up client information in online client database and relay information to client and add notes in database.
- Be available between calls to assist with office administrative tasks such as mailing letters, scanning and making labels.
- Provide some interpretation and translation for staff and clients in case of need.
Duties in office:
- Greet walk-in clients and respond to their questions.
- Occasionally assist clients with filling out basic forms.
- Fluency in English and one additional language frequently used by GBLS clients such as Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), Portuguese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Haitian Creole, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and good judgement.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and patience when dealing with high call volume and callers who may be distressed.
- Ability to use computer database to enter information and search for information.
- Ability to use basic functions of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Responsive to feedback about job performance.
- Willingness and ability to learn where to refer callers.
Salary is based on a union scale, with a starting annual salary of $42,500 for a receptionist with one to three years of experience. A bilingual receptionist will be eligible to receive a language bonus of $950 per year on top of regular base salary. GBLS offers a generous benefits package, retirement contribution, and generous Paid Time Off (PTO) leave.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to the Human Resources Department, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job Code: RECEPTIONIST when applying for this position. Deadline for applications is December 31, 2023, or until the position is filled.
GBLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.