Renters hit with no-fault evictions as investors and corporate owners gain hold, advocates say (Boston Globe)

Below is an excerpt from an article published by the Boston Globe on May 29. The article narrows in on the trend of no-fault evictions in Massachusetts communities, including arguments from both renters and landlords. De Novo Housing Attorney Katherine Fustich is quoted. 


Four days after his Somerville apartment was purchased by an out-of-state investor in early February, Michael Prentky received a letter: His rent was about to go up $1,200, to $3,200 a month, on April 1.

Should he and his partner opt not to renew their at-will tenancy in the three-unit building, Prentky needed to notify the property manager and give 30 days’ notice, the letter said.

“I hate to be cynical, but I had been expecting it,” Prentky, a 32-year-old musician, said recently as he stood outside his building at 22 Sargent Ave.

Since 2018, he’s lived there in Winter Hill in a three-bedroom apartment — which he described as effectively a two-bedroom, as the third is in disrepair.

In the months since the purchase, negotiations over the rent hikes between tenants in the building and the new landlord have stalled. Prentky and a resident in another unit each have received summonses for no-cause evictions — the process allowing landlords to seek to remove tenants for no specific reason.

Read more at the Boston Globe.