Title: Senior Attorney
Location: Primarily Remote/Available to appear at hearings and meetings throughout Massachusetts
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of sexual violence to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim. All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by an attorney with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodations. For assistance, contact email@example.com.
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of legal practitioners
- Collaborate with Massachusetts leadership team to make strategic decisions around direct services, outreach, training participation and staffing
- Mentor junior attorney(s) including case mentorship and professional development
- Provide sexual assault survivors with comprehensive legal consultations, representation, and referrals
- Represent survivors in one of the following areas: housing, immigration, employment, public benefits
- Represent survivors in privacy and safety matters, along with limited criminal justice system advocacy
- Represent sexual assault survivors in in-person, telephonic, and Zoom hearings throughout the Commonwealth
- Participate in weekly intake and case assessment meetings
- Conduct strategic outreach to community partners throughout Massachusetts
- Train, mentor, and support pro bono attorneys representing VRLC clients
- Train other community partners on legal issues that impact sexual assault survivors
- Participate in the collection of accurate client services data collection
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and in good standing
- Minimum 6 years of applicable litigation experience
- Experience and/or demonstrated commitment to working with trauma survivors and marginalized communities (e.g. LGBTQ, communities of color, people with disabilities, youth)
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving throughout the Commonwealth
- Courtroom experience
- Bilingual (Spanish or Portuguese preferred)
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
Hybrid Work: VRLC has a Hybrid Work Policy. “Hybrid Work” is a flexible workplace model that is supportive and inclusive of employees fulfilling their job responsibilities in-office, remotely, or at another location (partner agency) for all or part of their regularly scheduled work hours. Employees have a choice in selecting a working environment that helps them be most productive while meeting the needs of the VRLC and prioritizing both a survivor-centered approach to work and survivor privacy. For this role, the candidate must be available to attend meetings and hearings in Massachusetts with clients as needed as well as occasional meetings in one of our VRLC offices (Boston and/or Belchertown).
Benefits: The VRLC provides competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance; long and short-term disability insurance; generous paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; 403(b) plan with employer match; and a caring and innovative work environment.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with both your last name and “MA Staff Attorney” as the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls please.