April 11th – June 30th (with the option of extension)
The Mental Health Advisors Committee seeks a social worker for a temporary period, subject to extension, to assist in its advocacy. MHLAC is an affiliated state agency of the Supreme Judicial Court, created by the legislature in 1973. MHLAC offers free legal assistance to indigent people with mental health challenges throughout the Commonwealth. MHLAC’s experienced and talented staff focuses on identifying and addressing issues faced by significant numbers of clients in common. Approaches to solving client problems depend on the issue itself and the best strategy for accomplishing results. Tactics include class-based and targeted individual litigation, as well as legislative, administrative, and public advocacy.
MHLAC also serves as a statewide resource on mental health law and policy. It generates legal and policy materials, testifies on proposed laws and regulations, and has a long history of providing educational and training programs for public counsel, legal services attorneys, social workers, judges, and the general public.
See http://mhlac.org/what-we-do/ for a description of MHLAC’s approach and work.
MHLAC is committed to addressing racial equity concerns. In making strategic work choice decisions, priority is given to issues affecting persons with multiple characteristics that expose them to bias (e.g. persons of color who have or are perceived to have mental health concerns). This is consistent with workplace values. MHLAC is committed to creating an inclusive environment that promotes and values racial equity and diversity. We strongly encourage and welcome people of color, people with disabilities, those with personal experience related to mental health concerns, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and people with diverse life experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Title: Social Worker
Full/Part Time: Part Time
Position Type: Temporary Staff
Compensation: $27/hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Benefits: Vacation, sick, personal time and holidays included. Other benefits may also apply.
Main Office Location: 100 Hancock Street, Suite 1002, Quincy, MA 02171 (MHLAC is currently operating fully virtual until the opening of MHLAC’s new Main office in May 2022)
Work location: Quincy & remote
- Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate degree in SW or other related social services field;
- Strong computer and organizational skills;
- Strong communication and time-management skills;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with clients and co-workers in a team environment;
- Experience in the delivery of social services to indigent persons;
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the mental health care delivery system;
- Experience and strong interest in working with persons with mental health issues and/or institutionalized persons;
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Ability to communicate in a language used by significant numbers of potential clients preferred.
- Assist in providing informal social service advocacy to indigent adults, adolescents and children with mental illness or perceived to have mental illness on a range of matters, including but not limited to, housing and public benefits;
- Participate in the process of receiving requests for assistance (“intake”) from potential clients of the Agency, including:
- Accept phone calls and record client concerns, asking questions relevant to potential legal claims and other concerns;
- Field requests from advocates and attorneys in Massachusetts seeking assistance in cases they are handling for MHLAC eligible clients that regard social service concerns and provide referrals and assistance;
- Assist with the production of MHLAC publications;
- Represent MHLAC at conferences and meetings to discuss MHLAC services;
- Attend trainings and other conferences relevant to MHLAC priorities in order to stay up to date on modern intake trends and practices;
- Assist with other intake related matters as requested by the MHLAC Executive and Deputy Directors.
References and writing samples will be requested of finalists. A criminal background check will be completed for the selected candidate.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to Attorney Lauren Roy with the Subject line – “Social Worker position”
Email submissions are strongly encouraged. We will accept submissions mailed or faxed to our office. Please contact us at (617)338-2345 or send an email to email@example.com if further accommodations are necessary.
Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee
100 Hancock Street, Suite 1002
Quincy, MA 02171
- FAX: 617-338-2347
The Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As the representative of the Commonwealth and its residents, the Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee strives to ensure that those working in our office reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. The Committee encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for positions. We will gladly assist applicants who need reasonable accommodation.