Staff Attorney, Civil Legal Aid for Victims of Crime (CLAVC) Initiative – GBLS
GBLS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) seeks to hire a full-time permanent staff attorney to provide civil legal services on behalf of victims/survivors of crime pursuant to our CIVIL LEGAL ASSISTANCE FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME (CLAVC) Initiative.
Areas of practice will include abuse prevention and family law matters and also may include housing, immigration, employment, public benefits, and other areas of civil law. The attorney will join a team of advocates who collaborate in-house and across Massachusetts under the statewide CLAVC Initiative.
This position will be housed in the Family Law Unit of GBLS and will involve working with clients who have experienced domestic violence and/or other forms of potentially traumatic victimization.
- Admitted to the Massachusetts Bar
- Between two (2) and seven (7) years of legal experience
- Ability to travel to courthouses throughout the GBLS service area and to occasional statewide CLAVC events (GBLS has a travel expense reimbursement plan)
In addition, strong candidates will have some or all of the following qualities:
- Conversant in a language in addition to English that is common to residents of our service area
- Experience working with clients who have experienced trauma
- Experience working in low-income communities
- Experience collaborating with non-legal community organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in systemic advocacy
- Ability to both work as a member of a team and manage an individual caseload
GBLS offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule.
Salary is based on a union scale, which is currently under review for possible increase. Current starting salary for a person with five years of experience is $66,000. GBLS offers a generous benefits package, retirement contribution, a student loan repayment assistance plan for eligible attorneys, and generous PTO leave. Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to the Human Resources Team via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the Job Code: FLU-CLAVC-ATTY when applying. Deadline is November 4, 2022, or until position is filled.
GBLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.