Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS seeks a staff attorney to join our Family Law Unit, which prioritizes representation and advocacy for survivors of domestic violence in contested custody matters and abuse prevention proceedings. GBLS provides free legal services and representation to clients in the greater Boston area who cannot afford private legal representation.
· Managing a family law caseload that will include full representation cases, as well as advice, counsel and brief service matters;
· Representing clients at all levels of litigation including trials and appeals;
· Participating in legislative, administrative and other systemic advocacy that promotes the interests of GBLS clients;
· Providing culturally competent services to all clients;
· Developing and promoting relationships with community and governmental entities to advance the interests of survivors of domestic violence;
· Providing training and presentations at substantive law events as appropriate;
· As appropriate based on attorney’s experience, participating in internal projects to share substantive knowledge, supervise students, or assist with administrative tasks and grant reporting;
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and skills in family law and trial practice;
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge in other areas that impact GBLS family law clients in order to provide appropriate referrals or advice.
· This position is for an attorney with 0-5 years’ experience;
· The candidate must be admitted to the Massachusetts bar; have comity to become admitted; or if a new graduate, be prepared to gain admission;
· The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills;
· The candidate must have the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and to work collaboratively with other attorneys as well as non-attorney staff and partners;
· Prior family law and/or trial experience is a plus, as this is a litigation heavy position;
· Prior experience working with survivors of domestic violence is encouraged;
· Fluency in one or more of the languages in addition to English spoken by GBLS clients, such as Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Cantonese or Mandarin is helpful.
Salary & Benefits:
· Salary is based on a union scale, which begins at $60,000 for an attorney who has just graduated law school. GBLS offers a generous benefits package, retirement contribution, a student loan repayment assistance plan for eligible attorneys, and generous PTO leave. Candidates should submit letter of interest, resume and brief writing sample to the Personnel Team via email at email@example.com. Please refer to job code: FLU-ATT when applying for this position. Deadline is March 18, 2021 or until position is filled.
GBLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences