Massachusetts’ leading organization advocating for health care justice is hiring a Staff Attorney who will primarily serve as a member of HLA’s public benefits team, with some flexibility to assist the private insurance team on an as needed basis.
Health Law Advocates (HLA) is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal services to low-income Massachusetts residents having difficulty accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and advice for more than 700 clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy and educational programming to advance its goals. For more information visit https://www.healthlawadvocates.org/.
At HLA we strive to approach our work from a posture of humility, recognizing that many of the communities that we serve, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and the LGBTQ community, are often marginalized in society. We believe that we will increase our ability to serve our clients by deliberately and intentionally growing the diversity of our perspectives and backgrounds, and strongly encourage applications from people who are members of or identify with these communities.
The Staff Attorney: Responsibilities
Represent/advise income-qualified clients who primarily rely on MassHealth, subsidized Connector plans and the Health Safety Net to access health care (70%)
– Matters typically involve clients denied enrollment in state coverage programs, clients denied coverage for specific health services by such programs, and clients with unaffordable medical bills.
– Strategies usually involve representing clients in communications, including negotiations, with MassHealth/Connector officials, health care providers, and MassHealth managed care entities and appearances in the MassHealth Board of Hearings.
Advocate for health care regulations and policies that benefit income-qualified consumers with the Office of Medicaid, Health Connector and other relevant agencies (20%)
– Typical advocacy activities include attending regular advocate coalition meetings with state officials, participating in internal strategy development and information sharing meetings, drafting and delivering testimony on regulatory proposals and occasionally legislative proposals, representing HLA in advocacy coalitions.
– Policy advocacy will include being HLA’s point person on select MassHealth policy areas.
Conduct outreach to consumers and advocacy groups, including occasional legal trainings (6%)
Identify and research areas requiring systemic change through impact litigation (sporadic, with potential for growth) (3%)
Assist with drafting/reviewing grant applications and reports or portions thereof (sporadic) (1%)
The Staff Attorney: Qualifications
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
– Work both independently and as an effective team member
– Communicate clearly and professionally
– Maintain confidentiality
– Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and openness, with the desire and ability to listen and learn
– Understand and believe in the mission of the organization
– Embody the values of the organization, including a commitment to decreasing inequity in society
– Capably use Microsoft Office suite, e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
Specific to this position, the following experience is preferred, but not required:
– Knowledge and experience working with individuals in crisis
– Knowledge of and experience working with state and federal health care coverage and consumer protection laws, particularly Medicaid/MassHealth, the Affordable Care Act and M.G.L. c. 93A
– Experience counseling or representing consumers on health insurance coverage issues
– Public policy development or policy advocacy experience, preferably relating to health care policy
– Demonstrated ability to supervise and foster growth in junior staff
– Excellent legal research and analysis skills
This position includes a robust benefits package including competitive salary (based on experience and other qualifications), comprehensive health insurance and a generous paid leave policy.
Go to https://hlainc.efficientapply.com/jobs/ and follow the instructions there. Applications submitted by any other means will not be considered.
Please include a cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HLA is committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of HLA’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, so clients can be best served. Women, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, people of color, and people who speak English as a second language are encouraged to apply.