De Novo, a community-based agency providing free legal services and affordable psychological counseling for low-income people, seeks an attorney to handle housing cases.
– Representing tenants in judicial and administrative proceedings involving evictions, access to public and subsidized housing, enforcement of tenant rights, and termination of housing subsidies.
– Staffing De Novo’s Lawyer for the Day Clinicin Housing Court. At the clinic, we provide legal assistance, including advice, brief service, limited assistance representation, case consultation, and referrals to tenants in judicial proceedings involving evictions, and affirmative tenant actions including repairs, lockouts, and appeals of termination of housing subsidies.
– Recruiting, training, and supervising volunteer attorneys and law students to handle cases.
– Participating in coalitions and task forces; working with community-based and legal service organizations; conducting outreach and community legal education.
– Admitted to Massachusetts bar (or a bar of another state**).
– Three to Five years of legal experience preferred.
– Experience representing low-income people in court and administrative proceedings required.
– Experience representing low-income people in housing cases desired.
– Experience working with and/or representing a broad range of people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people with low incomes.
– Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills.
– Ability to supervise effectively.
– Strong computer skills.
– Bilingual preferred.
**An applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must be eligible to practice as a foreign lawyer under SJC Rule 3.04 and become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Commensurate with Experience. Generous benefits included.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law and resume, to John Froio, Deputy Director, De Novo, Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
De Novo is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace. Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.