Staff Attorney, Immigration Law Unit – GBLS
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
GBLS seeks a full-time staff attorney to join our Immigration Unit (IU). The IU represents clients in removal defense, defensive and affirmative asylum claims, special immigrant juvenile status petitions, VAWA self-petitions, “U” and “T” visas, and other immigration matters before the USCIS and EOIR. GBLS provides free legal services and representation to clients in the greater Boston area who cannot afford private legal representation.
Responsibilities of the Staff Attorney will include:
- Managing an immigration case load and providing representation and assistance to immigrants on substantive issues that may include:
- Removal defense;
- Defensive and affirmative asylum claims;
- Special immigrant juvenile petitions;
- VAWA self-petitions;
- “U” and “T” visa applications; and
- Providing representation concerning these and other immigration matters before the USCIS, BIA, EOIR and the federal courts;
- Conducting intake interviews;
- Providing advice and referrals on immigration matters;
- Responding to requests for emergency legal assistance;
- Potentially participating in legislative, administrative and other systemic advocacy that promotes the interests of GBLS clients;
- Providing legal services to culturally and linguistically diverse clients in an inclusive and respectful manner;
- Providing outreach as appropriate;
- Assisting with general administrative tasks and grant reporting as appropriate;
- This position is for an attorney with up to 5 years of legal experience.
- The candidate must be admitted to a state bar. The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The candidate must have the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- The candidate must have the ability to work collaboratively with other attorneys as well as non-attorney staff and community partners.
- Experience working with immigrant clients from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds is preferred.
- Prior experience in immigration law, including asylum, is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian Creole or Portuguese preferred but not required.
Salary is based on a union scale, with a starting annual salary range between $60,000 and $66,000 depending on experience. Potential salary increase in the future will be determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. GBLS offers a generous benefits package and paid time off policy. A hybrid work schedule is possible.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to the GBLS Human Resources Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job Code: IMM-ATT when applying for this position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but applicants are encouraged to submit applications by February 28, 2023.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.